Lightning C&C

GTX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first shots getting lightning on my Nikon D60 (but not my first shots ever). I am just looking for some hints and tips on what can be done to make better lightning shots, if possible.

My setup to capture these was first actually TRACKING the storm (I'm strongly into meteorology too), finding a few spots I already have picked out to watch it, then hopefully point the camera in the right direction. 20 second shutter timer, usually set to F/11 aperture, and at 18mm.

DSC_0033_cr2.jpg

DSC_0039_cr2.jpg

...and yes, they're resized down to about 50% or so of their original size, not including cropping that's already been done. :)

Looks pretty spectacular to me.

Assuming you're using the kit lens? The biggest problem I ran into photographing lightning this summer was terrible CA that I got from the massive amounts of contrast between the basically black sky and the super bright lightning.

You don't seem to have that issue. But then again, most of mine weren't working at less than f/6.3.

Yeah, the lense came with the camera.

That 1st pic is one wicked shot. I love lightning anyway but you captured this really nicely.
I see like a wolf or something coming at me from the center and all hell breaking loose. I don't do drugs I promise.

dsc_0033_funny.jpg

That was what I first saw. I don't do drugs either. :)

dsc_0033_funny.jpg

That was what I first saw. I don't do drugs either. :)

I LOVE the force of nature and about to embark on a journey over the states to Tornado Alley and take photos of storms there. I just think they make you feel so small in comparison.....makes me feel like being Bruce Almighty going, 'Oh SMITE me oh mighty SMITER!!'.... :)

ANYWAY.....my question here is if you used a remote trigger cord for these shots?

ANYWAY.....my question here is if you used a remote trigger cord for these shots?

No. My trigger hasn't come in yet. I'm just very "smooth" when it comes to pressing the button to start the shutter timer. It was set to 20 seconds for these shots and every time it would end I would just start it up again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back