Long-eared Owl

PJM

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
#1 is my final edit. But for those who want to look further I would love to get some feedback on how I could have made or processed this shot better.

#1 I've been following this owl for a while now. Usually he is so deep in brush you can barely see him. This time he was more exposed though still in deep shadow.
_DSC0027-2 by Peter Martin, on Flickr

Nikon D5600 (ASP-C sensor) w/ 200-500mm f/5.6 lens @ 500mm. 1/500sec, f/7.1 Auto ISO, +1EV, on a tripod. Spot metering on the owl. Camera set ISO at 3200.

As noted he was in deep shadow so I shot +1EV to give myself more data to work with. #2 is SOOC. I cropped in to minimize the amount of bright brush in the foreground and then played around in Lightroom to get the edit in #1. My final Lightroom settings are shown below. I'm not sure how to deal with the graininess given the deep shadow other than not cropping in so close.

#2 SOOC
_DSC0027 by Peter Martin, on Flickr

Lightroom settings:
Exposure: -0.25
Highlights: -55
Shadows: +51
Blacks: -30
Clarity: +20
Sharpening: 49
All other settings at default values

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-23_19-3-49.png
    upload_2021-3-23_19-3-49.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 35
Edited, I don't think anything is going to save this type of picture. Bad combo there with the owl far away and in the shade. Sorry. Since you do use a tripod I would suggest using a slower shutter speed to get the ISO down to around 200 or less in the future.

Last edited:
I've never seen one in the wild so great to see.

I'm just viewing on my fone so can't really see the grain issue.

Edited, I don't anything is going to save this typed of picture. Bad combo there with the owl far away and in the shade. Sorry. Since you do use a tripod I would suggest using a slower shutter speed to get the ISO down to around 200 or less in the future.
I was afraid that might be the answer. It was still worth a try. I should have tried going lower on the shutter speed. Next time. Thanks for commenting.

I've never seen one in the wild so great to see.

I'm just viewing on my fone so can't really see the grain issue.
Yep, I consider myself lucky to have been able to see him.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back