Looking at Cartier-Bresson Photographs

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
10/8/17 at the Rubin Museum, just before the guard reminded me no photography was permitted in the Cartier-Bresson show.
DSC05509.jpg

Love that shot. The light is marvelously well managed and the reflection of the photographs in the "pane?" gives a sensation of mystery. The woman is not too dark which must have been difficult to catch as she is dressed in dark clothes and not very lit. The frame is good, we are automatically plunged into the topic. A photograph exhibition and its visitors. Black and white great as well. And, it's Cartier-Bresson as well ! :) :) where is the Rubin museum?

That's a wonderful capture! Good composition, nice exposure.

Great job at sneaking one in, too. ;)

Love that shot. The light is marvelously well managed and the reflection of the photographs in the "pane?" gives a sensation of mystery. The woman is not too dark which must have been difficult to catch as she is dressed in dark clothes and not very lit. The frame is good, we are automatically plunged into the topic. A photograph exhibition and its visitors. Black and white great as well. And, it's Cartier-Bresson as well ! :) :) where is the Rubin museum?
Thank you so much! I have to admit I didn’t trust myself to get the exposure correct and had my a6000 with the kit lens set on “intelligent auto.” The Rubin is at 17th Street and 7th Avenue in Manhattan. They specialize in South Asian art and work done in South Asia. They frequently have great photography shows. The atmosphere is always incredibly calm. The building used to occupied by the Barney’s clothing store.

I've visited NYC three times.... Love it.. A great city. Next time I come (If I can) I'll try to visit this museum then. ;)

Thank Terri! As I wrote to Jean-Louis, I share the credit with that little Sony A6000. BTW, a few of the photos of Gandhi were taken about an hour before he was killed.

I was reminded of the following by my wife: C-B was called back to photograph Gandhi’s funeral. He stated that he thought using a flash would be disrespectful, “so I switched to a faster lens for the Leica.”

My thoughts as well!!!

And yeah--what did you think of the photos on display?

My thoughts as well!!!

I thought they were extraordinary. They were the best examples of this great photograper’s work I have seen. I found myself studying each one, trying to understand why they had such a great effect on me.

My thoughts as well!!!

I thought they were extraordinary. They were the best examples of this great photograper’s work I have seen. I found myself studying each one, trying to understand why they had such a great effect on me.
In thinking about what was so different about these prints, I think it was the lack of the “decisive moment” feel, which is more about the subject of the photograph, and the emphasis on the composition. In some cases it almost looked as if the scenes were arranged by the photographer, so perfect did they appear to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back