Looking for a pano for a week

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by PerfectOptics, Jun 28, 2007.

1. PerfectOptics

PerfectOptics TPF Noob!

Hi everyone.

This summer I'm taking a trip to north carolina (from maryland) and i'd like to rent or barrow a panoramic film camera. Something 6x12, 6x17 or maybe an XPan...

I havent been able to find one really, so I was wondering if anyone has one who lives between here and there, or knows of a place to rent one for a week or so.

I'm usually shooting digital professionally, and I'm getting a little nostalgic for the film days. I figure i'd like to rent something unusual ive never used before.

Thanks,
    -John

2. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi John, first a warm welcome aboard. A panoramic camera, huh? ;)

The only one here at TPF that I know had a pan is Ksmattfish. You can look him up on the user listing and fire a PM to him. He might be able to hep you. Good luck.

3. PerfectOptics

PerfectOptics TPF Noob!

Thanks, unfortunately he is based out of kansas, so that most likely wont be feasible...

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you can't find a medium format pano cam to rent, you might have better luck finding a 4x5 field camera with either a 6x12 or 6x17 roll film back, or do what I often do, crop from 4x5 sheet film.

You can probably purchase a 4x5 Speed Graphic with a press lens for $200ish. If you are cropping to 6cm x 12cm you'd be cropping off most of the issues (if any) with the press lens.

5. PerfectOptics

PerfectOptics TPF Noob!

THanks for the advice. One of the reasons I want an Xpan is for the ultrawide FOV, which I unfortunately wouldnt get by cropping 4x5.

Right now I'm trying to pano-vize a disposable camera, and replace the plastic f11 aperture with an f90 pinhole. The high aperture should elevate the bad vignetting, i'm hoping to get a wicked sharp image, the equivalent of 15 mpxls. I built an f90 lens out of a disposable camera before and put it on a fuji s3 and got at least a 3mpxl image...

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why not? A 90mm lens on cropped 4x5 format should have a slightly wider FOV than the Xpan 45mm lens.

7. blackdoglab

blackdoglab yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap

Photos OK to edit