Looking for camera to lure girlfriend into photography

Gavjenks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
She has a pretty good eye, but only has a cell phone camera with horribly small sensor, and a penchant for using instagram as a crutch.

So I'm looking for a "real" camera with exposure controls and a bigger sensor (and sneakily cutting her off from convenient instagram access), that is pocket sized so she will actually bring it with her. She isn't too fond of the idea of film (was my first attempt). Budget is maybe $250, used is fine by me. Even if I might be willing to spend more, she'd be annoyed with me for not spending it on other more "practical" things if I go much above that.

So:
* Any brand, anything at all (fixed lens is fine, whatever, "outdated" whatever, 8-10MP only? Whatever), subject only to the below constraints
* Ideally pocket sized if not then purse sized is okay.
* Significantly larger sensor than a cell phone (Nikon CX or M4/3 or larger ideally)
* Able to reasonably directly control exposure aperture, ISO, shutter
* =< $250 (used)

I would have thought there'd be a ton of stuff fitting these criteria, but I'm actually having some trouble.

Yeah a DSLR is easy to get features for money, but even the SL1, though tiny in volume, doesn't seem very purse and obviously not pocket friendly, because it's not tiny along any one dimension. Especially with the lens you have to have on it. She'd simply not bring it with her probably most of the time.

Just get her a 1Dx. Surely this thread was a joke given your abundant knowledge of every camera on the market.

Counter point: Why?

Here is the list of things I have bought for my wife to try to get her into the same hobby I enjoy:
1 Snowboard, boots, bindings, jacket, pants, gloves, goggles.
1 Guitar (electric)
1 Guitar Amp
1 Fishing pole with tackle
1 Mountain Bike

Guess how many of those things she uses? Not a single one. Save you're money, buy her a pretty shiny thing or take her out on a nice date.

Here is the list of things I have bought for my wife to try to get her into the same hobby I enjoy:
1 Guitar (electric)
1 Guitar Amp
1 Mountain Bike

Guess how many of those things she uses? Not a single one. Save you're money, buy her a pretty shiny thing or take her out on a nice date.

Runnah's got a point there.

Well she already enjoys it and like I said has a good eye. I'm not dragging her from zero interest, merely zero experience / equipment (and no money to get it herself).

There are a lot of other hobbies of mine that it would be a complete waste of money to try and garner interest in from nothing (computer programming, carpentry...), and I am not attempting those. This one has a glimmer of shared interest and skill.

Sadly, I converted my old T2i to infrared shortly before finding out that she was interested, so I have no useful spare camera to give and if getting one, might as well make it customized to her situation. (and 6D is too big and overwhelming at first even if I'm willing to lend it out much of the time)

1 Guitar (electric)
1 Guitar Amp
1 Mountain Bike

Nearly bought the missus a new shotgun for her birthday. She said I should save my money.

1 Guitar (electric)
1 Guitar Amp
1 Mountain Bike

Nearly bought the missus a new shotgun for her birthday. She said I should save my money.

Of course you should have. If she learned how to use it, you then have to be REALLY careful not to mess up so that you aren't looking down the business end of it.

Of course you should have.

Actually she is a better trap and skeet shooter than I am.

I can totally understand that. My best friend and I went to shoot skeet one day and took his wife with us. She didn't miss, needless to say, we BOTH make sure to keep her happy and away from guns ;)

I know this thread is running off the rails, but FWIW I like Derrel's suggestion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back