Looking for flash to couple to D90

sownman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just getting into digital photography and bought a D90. I have the 18-105 kit lens and now an 11-16 Tokina lens. I want to add a flash now that will communicate with the camera and hopefully give good wide angle coverage for the 11mm lens. Nikon speedlight 900 seems it would but I'm sure there are cheaper ways to go also. Any ideas ? What are you using ?

Thanks

Someone here bought a Sunpack and I have looked on line at Vivitar 383. Supposedly they will work with the Nikon system for auto whatever and can be switched to manual. I owned a Vivtar back in the film days and it was a nice flash; what I like about the 383 is it has a built in diffuser and white card for bounce. Unfortunately, I can't comment on how good it is.

The other 2 things I would look into is a bracket for the flash, it mounts the flash on the left side. To use the bracket you'll need a flash patch cable. By using these it will put the flash on a slightly different plane then the lens.

Sb-600 is a nice flash for the price. I havent used it on anything that wide but Im sure it would work nicely.

I have plans to get a SB600 and then a SB900 much later.

I have an sb400 and love it. Small, light, plenty powerful. I want an SB600 but would use the 400 most of the time.

the sb-600 can be fired on or off camera (using CLS), the sb-400 can only be fired on camera (without external trigger)

go with the sb-600 (I just ordered my second.)

p!nK

If you can find used sb800, it would be ideal :)
sb600 is small and simple unit. My issue with it is that its color is a bit warmer then sb800. SB900 is more expensive, and you probably know, but also it is recommended to get the external batter with it. The reason for this is b/c sb900 has a thermo sensor that causes flash to shut off if used extensively, thus with external batter the main HEAT SOURCE is not in the flash its self thus keeping it cooler.
Good Luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back