Looking for lens advice

Greg_Blackburn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post. So thanks in advanced to any1 who can help.

I'm looking to move away from my kit lens for my Nikon d3300. I mainly use my camera on trips to the zoo, wildlife parks and outdoors. Like doing long exposure water shots, animal pics, sunsets/rise and landscapes. Also like sum macro work, flowers butterfly's etc.

I've been looking at sigma/tamron 70-300 5.6 Af-s macro/telephoto lens. I know they cheaper but would they be sufficient for learning with.

Thanks Greg

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Any brand's 70-300 would be a great tool to have. Definitely. I would buy one !

Not sure why but the Sigma 70-300mm isn't popular so I would recommend more the Tamron which is considered very sharp.

Well if you really want to move to a higher level of lenses you need to spend more money, also you need to ask yourself if in the future you plan on moving to full frame or stay with crop sensor.
70-300mm really is same level as kit lens. it just gives you more reach compared to the 18-55mm which came with your D3300
If you see yourself staying with crop sensor camera then you can consider the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8, same range for full frame will be 24-70mm 2.8
Another lens is Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC
Also prime lenses can be good like the 50mm 1.8G which is good all around lens for crop and full frame cameras

Greg: check out Thom Hogan's review of the NEW 70-300 AF-P VR Nikkor lens on the D3400 camera; this lens might require you to update the D3300's firmwarwe (a download, instal onto the memory car, and then follow the directions, a 3-minute process); the 70-300 AF-P VR is a low-cost lens, but the focusing performance and the imnage quality is VERY high!!! BETTER than the 70-300 AF-S VR lens,according to Thom Hogan.

Nikon D3400 Camera Review | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

One thing to keep in mind: once you get above about 135mm, shutter speed and fine motion blurring or camera movement can rob pictures of critical sharpness. MANY times a shutter speed of say, 1/250 is actually tooooo slooooooooow to get the maximum shaprness out of the longer end of a 70-300mm lens!

I found this out the hard way, years ago. CRITICALLY sharp images start to happen regularly at about 1/400 second and above! Much of the world, and the camera, is in motion! Speed helps!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back