Looking for strobe triggers that cost less than Pocket Wizards

kkamin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want pocket wizards but I simply cannot afford to put that much isolated capital into that area right now.

I have been using $30 trigger kits from Cowboy Studios. The problem with them is that they do not fire consistently. It's not bad, but here and there I will have to turn them off and on or some other type of voodoo to make them work. My client's don't know the difference between a pocket wizard is or what I am using, but it is embarrassing if I need to stop the shoot and fiddle with them.

1. What would you recommend that is in between what I am using and Pocket Wizards? I just need something for now that will fire consistently that uses radio waves to communicate. I will get the PWs in the future.

2. If I want to cable my monolights together, is there a way to do that? This would be nice as a back up.

Thanks!

I would consider buying them here. Better than paying in Euro's and the outrageous costs of shipping from across the pond. That's why we threw all that tea into Boston Harbor, those outrageous charges the British called taxes.:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

Sorry gsgary, I couldn't resist.

You might want to look at these instead. They are a universal set. The ones gsgary linked to and I linked to in the US are dedicated units.
CyberSyncs are well regarded as well.

I would consider buying them here. Better than paying in Euro's and the outrageous costs of shipping from across the pond. That's why we threw all that tea into Boston Harbor, those outrageous charges the British called taxes.:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

Sorry gsgary, I couldn't resist.

You might want to look at these instead. They are a universal set. The ones gsgary linked to and I linked to in the US are dedicated units.
CyberSyncs are well regarded as well.

Everything is more expensive here :grumpy:

Don't forget to look into Cactus V4's. I have had mine for quite a while now, and haven't had a problem that couldn't be attributed to my flash either not ready to recycle, or being on standby. On paper, they probably don't look as good as some of the other triggers mentioned, and they probably aren't. But my thought is you should either go with something cheap and reliable (Cactus), or just save and get the ones you truly want. No sense in buying the ones that are still pretty expensive if you're still gonna want the PW's someday.

I only see a few benefits of PW's over cybersyncs for the average photographer. Only if I was a pro getting paid the big bucks would I get pocketwizards.

Flamesuit on:chatty:

I have not used them with my strobes (do come with the connectors). But I have had nothing but good experience with my Cactus V4's with my flashes so far. Probably about 12 good all day uses with them so far. Not a single problem. I ordered more of them not too long ago. Not due to a failure but due to the fact I want to use more flashes.

i love my cybersyncs! they are super sweet! they work all the time without fail, especially with my alienbee strobes. Cant beat the price either

I only see a few benefits of PW's over cybersyncs for the average photographer. Only if I was a pro getting paid the big bucks would I get pocketwizards.

Flamesuit on:chatty:

The big advantages to PW's are their dependability in unusual conditions, the fact that they use standard batteries found anywhere in a pinch and for someone like me, they are the industry standard in sporting venues. I can show up at a venue and get my assigned channel and use the strobes.

If none of those apply then Cybersyncs are great as are some others out there. Its a matter of need.

I never thought about sporting events. That's cool to know they just give you a channel for the strobes set up already and you just go to town! Or is it not that simple?

I never thought about sporting events. That's cool to know they just give you a channel for the strobes set up already and you just go to town! Or is it not that simple?

It is so not that simple.

Some venues the lights you use may belong to a particular organization that you are shooting for. More than one organization will have lights there. Assigned channels makes sure that no two or more sets of lights are being triggered by one user.

Some venues have multiple light setups built in and each assigned user is again on a different channel. Getting to be an authorized user is a whole nother topic.

The simple part is that pocket wizards, by being the industry standard, make it simple. They are the product used across venues. I own one PW Multi Max as my transmitter no matter what I am doing and a bunch of PW II's for my studio strobes. I don't need the number of channels and extra features that the PW Multi Max has for personal strobes.

I have to throw in another vote for the Cactus v4's. I just got a set 3 days ago, and they work fine. I get 1 in about 30 misfires, but for 1/10th the cost of Pocket Wizards I can live with it. If that 1 shot can cost you your livelihood, then go with something more reliable, but for me, I'll spend my money on better glass.

Steve

Most reactions

Back