Looking to buy a capable camera smaller than a DSLR camera

King Mustard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently have a Nikon D3300, which I really like.

I mainly use the single-point AF feature, due to the excellent "depth of field" effect it gives on photos.

However, the camera is too large and heavy for my trips abroad.

I am hoping for some advice/suggestions with the following conditions:
  • Must be smaller than my Nikon D3300 (W12cm, H10cm, L14cm with kit 18-55mm lens)
  • Must be lighter than my Nikon D3300 (700g with stock battery and kit 18-55mm lens)
  • Must offer single-point AF (for a similar depth of field effect)
  • Ideally has 180° swivel screen for "selfies"
  • Ideally has built-in GPS for photo geotagging
  • Must be under £500/€600/$650
Any advice/suggestions?

as far as im aware, and i could be wrong on this, AF mode has no affect on "depth of field"...
DOF is affected by many things like subject distance, lens, aperture...but im pretty sure AF mode isnt one of them.

for a $650 budget you might look at mirrorless cameras.
sony, Fuji, panasonic, or olympus.

I mainly use the single-point AF feature, due to the excellent "depth of field" effect it gives on photos.
The various focus modes are available to help the camera focus on what you want it to.

Depth of field can be shallow or deep (or anything in between) and is affected by; the sensor size, the focal length and aperture of the lens, and the the distance from camera to subject.

I assume that you intend a shallow DOF (the current fad), and if you elect to use a camera with a smaller sensor and a shorter lens with a smaller maximum aperture, then you will probably not see the shallow DOF that you're going for.

Apple's iPhone 6S Plus is a nice camera. Has tremendous depth of field, allowing you to capture near-to-far scenes in good, crisp focus. Samsung's high-end Galaxy models are also excellent picture takers. Great cameras, great video too! The smaller sensor size of camerea phones allows amazing travel images, and a VERY compact, thin, lightweight camera that is easily carried anywhere.

Not sure what lens or lenses you have for the Nikon D3300; perhaps a small, single focal length lens like the 35mm f/1.8 DX-Nikkor would make the camera more compact for you?

If you want a "real camera", Canon and Sony and FUji make some nice compact digitial Point & SHoot models, some of them which are very advanced. In the $900 segment, Sony's high-end X-series zoom-lens equipped models are the favorites of the rich and worldly photo bugs. Fuji's X-series is also popular with the same folks, and has a very nice "traditional camera" look and design ethos, and fine,fine lenses.

The best of the small phone cameras and compact digitals are not inexpensive; expect to pay more to get more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back