Looking to upgrade from a t2i.

I appreciate all the advice, and i think i will change my mind and go with a better lens! That 17-40 sounds great!

Good choice. Also, depending on your needs, check out the 70-200/4L (no IS) that's on sale now for $560 at B&H, it will produce some great images on the t2i. BTW, here's a video comparison by the always-entertaining Kai:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a T1i, and after doing several lens upgrades, I ended up with a 24-105 f/4 L. It has enought sharpness for almost all applications, and if there is a lack of sharpness it is usually due either to my misfocusing, or having some camera shake blur. For my purposes, it's a really good all-around lens, but then, I use a tripod for almost all my nature/landscape shots, and use the 10x live-view focusing to ensure I have the focus where I need it.

Due to the anti-aliasing filter in the camera, you do need to sharpen the images during post-processing. The amount of sharpening, and where you apply it, is part of the post-processing skill acquisition. You will be surprised at how much a skillful operator can make the images "sing". Also, I shoot my images in RAW to give myself the editing ability - that way, there is minimal loss of information that is recorded by the camera/lens.

There has been some great advice given in this thread. I would upgrade the lens too. I own the 24-105 L and cannot recomment it enough.

pgriz said:
I have a T1i, and after doing several lens upgrades, I ended up with a 24-105 f/4 L. It has enought sharpness for almost all applications, and if there is a lack of sharpness it is usually due either to my misfocusing, or having some camera shake blur. For my purposes, it's a really good all-around lens, but then, I use a tripod for almost all my nature/landscape shots, and use the 10x live-view focusing to ensure I have the focus where I need it.

Due to the anti-aliasing filter in the camera, you do need to sharpen the images during post-processing. The amount of sharpening, and where you apply it, is part of the post-processing skill acquisition. You will be surprised at how much a skillful operator can make the images "sing". Also, I shoot my images in RAW to give myself the editing ability - that way, there is minimal loss of information that is recorded by the camera/lens.

Yeah i thought it was my settings and shutterspeed at first but i had one of my teachers shoot a couple shots and the sharpness was the same when i opened it up to edit. I was also told that i have the ability to pass my equipments ability(which i feel was a compliment as well as a nice way of saying to buy better equipment). Ive tried a lot of different things to counteract the image dullness beaides upgrading my equipment and tax return time has come so it now or never(or at least until next year). Lol

Your t2i (550D) is not lagging behind the 7D in terms of capabilities and that too is available at half the price. In another thread started by you about lenses I suggested you to invest in EF lenses instead of EF-S ones so that you may use them with full frame sensors e.g. Mark-II, Mark-III. As pointed above the t3i, t4i, 7D all have the same sensors so there is no big difference in terms of picture quality. The only thing you will get is certain additional control which I think doesn't matter a lot. So, if you really want to upgrade and you have the budget, then go for full frame otherwise your t2i is also second to none.

For the love of god stop telling people to upgrade to full frame cameras! That wasn't even the question being asked. Do you just hate crop sensor cameras? Seriously dude. Stop. Not everyone wants a full frame camera because of the cost! They are more expensive. Let panda learn to use the gear that is available and work on buying a few more lenses that make sense.

Last edited:
The lenses ihave are the 18-55, a 50mm, 75-300, and a 35-80.

The proplem is the lenses you have they are not very good,the 50 is ok though,spend your $ on good lenses,Canon 70-200L,Canon EFS 10-22,Canon EFS17-55 2.8,etc,etc.Don't waste your money now on a body get "good lenses" first the upgrade later to a new body,7D,etc.

If you are looking ahead and see this as a long term thing then I would say get lenses designed for Full Frame body this way in the future when you are ready to upgrade the camera you will be able to get the Canon 6D or maybe even the 5D. These are beasts with amazing picture quality and wonderful low light ISO performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back