Looking to upgrade my camera

Rachel1786

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on upgrading my camera. I currently have the canon rebel XTI, as much as I love it, it's outdated and I'd really like to upgrade to something that also takes video. I'm an amateur photographer, I do a lot of shooting at horse shows(lots of action shots!), I also take a lot of pet photos(I work at a dog boarding kennel and I'm also a groomer so I take lots of photos of clients) and some nature as well. I would like to go pro, but I have too much on my plate right now to do so. I've had friends offer to pay me for photos I've taken of them at horse shows, but I always decline feeling they are not good enough to charge for.
I just got the latest B&H catalog in the mail, and my SO(he got me my xti for valentines day almost 6 years ago) offered to buy me a new camera for Christmas. I would like to try to keep it under $500(only need the body, have tons of lenses) so far I'm looking at either the T3I, SL1 or T5I, but I might be able to convince him to get the EOS 60D if I can find a really good price and I can convince him it's really worth the extra price.
I would like a camera that does better in low light conditions then my current camera, currently I can barley use 800ISO without there being a ton of noise, forgot about using 1600 :confused:.

Well that's about all I can think of right now, I appreciate all the help and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone on here!

Welcome to the site. For $500 or under you probably aren't going to get anything that handles low light. The 60D is the best of the ones you listed at low light situations. You say that you have a lot of glass, but are they fast glass? That will be another part of how well the low light is handled too. For low light, I wouldn't really go less than the 7D or the 70D.

If you want to get a real upgrade then you should go for the Canon 70D, you see the T3i, T5i and 60D all share same sensor and have about same low light performance which is ok but nothing more then that as the sensor on these cameras is an old one.
The sensor on the 70D is new and the 70D has impressive video capabilities as well.
If you are thinking about getting more serious with your photography you really should get a good camera.
I really would tell you to get the 6D which is the full frame but I assume you will not be able to afford it so for at least try to get the 70D.

The 60D is a good upgrade for the money.
In my case I jump from the rebel XT to the 70D. It's night and day difference.

Welcome to the site. For $500 or under you probably aren't going to get anything that handles low light. The 60D is the best of the ones you listed at low light situations. You say that you have a lot of glass, but are they fast glass? That will be another part of how well the low light is handled too. For low light, I wouldn't really go less than the 7D or the 70D.

I know $500 isn't a whole lot. Better low light capabilities would be a plus, but I don't usually do a lot of low light shooting anyway, it would just be nice to have a camera that could do better in low light for the situation arose. None of my lenses are terribly fast(I know that doesn't help matters).
I have a canon 50mm f/1.8, canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and the sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6

If you want to get a real upgrade then you should go for the Canon 70D, you see the T3i, T5i and 60D all share same sensor and have about same low light performance which is ok but nothing more then that as the sensor on these cameras is an old one.
The sensor on the 70D is new and the 70D has impressive video capabilities as well.
If you are thinking about getting more serious with your photography you really should get a good camera.
I really would tell you to get the 6D which is the full frame but I assume you will not be able to afford it so for at least try to get the 70D.

Does the XTi also have the same sensor? I'd like to be able to upgrade to the 70D but I just don't think I could convince him to buy me a $1000+ camera, and as much as I would LOVE the 6D, there is no way I could get a $1500+ camera.

Although, I'm not opposed to buying used(unless it's advised against) I just would have no idea where to buy a used camera besides ebay, which I don't see many used listed on.

The 60D is a good upgrade for the money.
In my case I jump from the rebel XT to the 70D. It's night and day difference.
I'd be happy if I could convince him to get me the 60D, chances are the 70D isn't going to happen :-/

The 60D is a nice camera and can be had for a great price right now because it is about to be discontinued.

You have to take in consideration that moving yo full frame like the 6D means that most of your lenses won't work. So k suggest sticking to crop sensor. I think the 60D is your best bet unless you want to look for a used 7D that is really good camera with better AF system and much faster shooting capabilities.

The 60D is a nice camera and can be had for a great price right now because it is about to be discontinued.

That's good to know, any idea when they will discontinue them? This is going to be my christmas present, so hopefully not before then(he'll wait to the last minute lol)

You have to take in consideration that moving yo full frame like the 6D means that most of your lenses won't work. So k suggest sticking to crop sensor. I think the 60D is your best bet unless you want to look for a used 7D that is really good camera with better AF system and much faster shooting capabilities.
Well I definitely don't want to have to get all new lenses, if I can find a 7D, will all my current lenses still work? I'd like to get the best camera I(I mean he lol) can afford, but I also don't want to push my luck...
YA know, I have to have 2 of the most expensive hobbies in the world, photography and horseback riding, not sure which is worse...well probably the horses since I have to feed them :p but even just my saddle collection is ridiculous, if I put half the money I spend on my horses this month alone towards a camera I'd have a huge budget(then again, I did put it all on the credit card, so it's not like I really have the money anyway lol)

Yes all your lenses will work with the 7D, that is the best camera in the crop sensor until the 70D come out.

Yes all your lenses will work with the 7D, that is the best camera in the crop sensor until the 70D come out.
The 70D is out and is a very nice camera.

I know, I have it.
I got this week a refurbished 100mm macro lens for it and it's marvelous.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on upgrading my camera. I currently have the canon rebel XTI, as much as I love it, it's outdated and I'd really like to upgrade to something that also takes video. I'm an amateur photographer, I do a lot of shooting at horse shows(lots of action shots!), I also take a lot of pet photos(I work at a dog boarding kennel and I'm also a groomer so I take lots of photos of clients) and some nature as well. I would like to go pro, but I have too much on my plate right now to do so. I've had friends offer to pay me for photos I've taken of them at horse shows, but I always decline feeling they are not good enough to charge for.
I just got the latest B&H catalog in the mail, and my SO(he got me my xti for valentines day almost 6 years ago) offered to buy me a new camera for Christmas. I would like to try to keep it under $500(only need the body, have tons of lenses) so far I'm looking at either the T3I, SL1 or T5I, but I might be able to convince him to get the EOS 60D if I can find a really good price and I can convince him it's really worth the extra price.
I would like a camera that does better in low light conditions then my current camera, currently I can barley use 800ISO without there being a ton of noise, forgot about using 1600 :confused:.

Well that's about all I can think of right now, I appreciate all the help and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone on here!

Well after reading through everything you might want to take a look at the Canon 50d.

Used Canon EOS 50D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) 2807B006 B&H

Shoots faster, better image quality, and it's in within the budget you mentioned. It also has a higher ISO and even boost ISO, You can find a side by side comparison between it and your current camera here:

Canon 50D vs Rebel XTi - Our Analysis

Now I'm not a canon shooter myself so I have no idea how well the noise reduction works at higher ISO, but I'm sure you could do some web searches and find out.

7D has exact same sensor as does the T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i and 60D
7D is a camera purpose made for rough work and sports, I doubt you need it for what you do, it cost as much as 70D if not even more and I think for the casual user the 70D is a better camera.
The T3i sensor is old but still better then what you have, I guess it will be an upgrade for you but you are buying a new camera with an older technology, try to get the 70D and if you cant then I guess the T3i or T5i is better then what you have.

The 70D is out and is a very nice camera.

I know, I have it.
I got this week a refurbished 100mm macro lens for it and it's marvelous.

mhmm well amazon has the 70D for $1099, maybe if I can find one used I could convince him. Where is a good place to shop for used cameras. Although I'm going to assume it came out recently, which means finding a used one will be next to impossible.

Most reactions

Back