Looking to upgrade my camera

Well after reading through everything you might want to take a look at the Canon 50d.

Used Canon EOS 50D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) 2807B006 B&H

Shoots faster, better image quality, and it's in within the budget you mentioned. It also has a higher ISO and even boost ISO, You can find a side by side comparison between it and your current camera here:

Canon 50D vs Rebel XTi - Our Analysis

Now I'm not a canon shooter myself so I have no idea how well the noise reduction works at higher ISO, but I'm sure you could do some web searches and find out.

From the links you posted, it doesn't appear to take video, which is one of the biggest reasons I want to upgrade, I currently have to use my cell or tablet when I want to take video, I have 2 kodak PAS cameras and they take terrible video, much worse then my phone, so I'd like a DSLR that takes video. Usually the videos I take are just of my horses being goofy, or I'll set it up to video myself riding(or other people).

7D has exact same sensor as does the T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i and 60D
7D is a camera purpose made for rough work and sports, I doubt you need it for what you do, it cost as much as 70D if not even more and I think for the casual user the 70D is a better camera.
The T3i sensor is old but still better then what you have, I guess it will be an upgrade for you but you are buying a new camera with an older technology, try to get the 70D and if you cant then I guess the T3i or T5i is better then what you have.

Not impossible but it will be hard since it is so new. B&H photo is a great place to look plus they sometimes throw in extra gear...

Canon EOS 70D DSLR Camera (Body Only) 8469B002 B&H Photo Video

there you go...it really is a nice camera and it handles high ISO better than I thought it would.

Guess I'll have some sucking up to do if I want that 70D lol...ugh I don't know if I can handle sucking up and being super nice until christmas lol

So do they no longer use CF cards? That kinda stinks, but at least the SD cards are somewhat less expensive then the CF...I'm also going to assume it uses a different battery?(I have 3-4 batteries for my XTi)

Rachel if video is important to you, then you must try to get the 70D. The new AF in live view is the best canon has put in a DSLR.

And you will need to get new batteries, but you can get 3rd party whish are a lot cheaper than the originals.

I have a canon 50mm f/1.8, canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and the sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6

I don't know anything about canon but since nikon has similar lenses, I'm going to assume those are what I think they are in terms of performance. Have you considered selling a bunch of lenses in order to fund a better body?

If you want to shoot in low light, definitely keep the 50mm 1.8. You could also use that as a portrait and even walk-around if you're willing to sacrifice zoom. I would sell the 55-250, 70-300, and 28-135 (unless this is a good one, again, I don't know canon) then use whatever's left to buy a nice telephoto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rachel if video is important to you, then you must try to get the 70D. The new AF in live view is the best canon has put in a DSLR.

maybe I can tell him to see if my mom wants to go in on it with him lol, last year I got a new computer from her, so just maybe. I mentioned the 70D to Anthony(my SO) and doesn't think I use my camera enough to justify spending that much, but really, I just haven't been using it for snapshots as much as I used to, I'll use my phone for just fun shots, I reserve bringing out the DSLR for going to horse shows and stuff where image quality matters. I mean lets face it, using manual and shooting in RAW is a PIA for just snapshots that I'm just going to post on facebook

And you will need to get new batteries, but you can get 3rd party whish are a lot cheaper than the originals.

I figured as much, I believe only one of the batteries I have for my XTi are a canon brand, the rest are cheapies from china that work just as well(or well enough that I don't see a difference)

maybe I can tell him to see if my mom wants to go in on it with him lol, last year I got a new computer from her, so just maybe. I mentioned the 70D to Anthony(my SO) and doesn't think I use my camera enough to justify spending that much, but really, I just haven't been using it for snapshots as much as I used to, I'll use my phone for just fun shots, I reserve bringing out the DSLR for going to horse shows and stuff where image quality matters. I mean lets face it, using manual and shooting in RAW is a PIA for just snapshots that I'm just going to post on facebook

I figured as much, I believe only one of the batteries I have for my XTi are a canon brand, the rest are cheapies from china that work just as well(or well enough that I don't see a difference)

Not saying it is necessary but if you are going to be using your DSLR for horse shows then I would lean more towards the 70D because the AF system is designed for that sort of shooting more so than the Rebel line. Again not saying the Rebel can't handle it but 19 all cross type AF points would be much better for action shots and etc. and as John S. mentioned you may want to look into selling your lenses to get a quality telephoto zoom like the 70-200 f/4 IS USM.

I would look for a good price on a 60D, refurbished, maybe from Cameta Camera for example, or B&H or Adorama. I would NOT buy a 50D...that's 2008-era technology, with no video. In Canon, the 60D is probably the best value right now, per dollar spent.

I'm seeing the 60D for $699 at B&H and $649 at Amazon. That's for a "new" "body only" (no lens) version. Your same lens(es) that you use with your XTi will work on the 60D.

The 60D has 9 "cross type" AF points. The 70D has 19 "cross type" AF points.
The 70D has a bit better performance at high ISO (keeping noise low) and it's dynamic range is also a bit better. But both the 60D and 70D will be a night and day difference over your XTi.

At some point you'll want to look at the lenses. Lenses that can offer a low focal ratio will collect more light which means you won't have to crank up the ISO for indoor shots so much. The "nifty fifty" is the very inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 lens. Build quality isn't anything to brag about and the focus motor is noisy and slow, but the lens is only about $125 and it's optically a sharp lens. If you can afford it, the f/1.4 version is significantly better with respect to build quality and focusing speed... but it'll cost a couple hundred more.

The 60D used to be a $1200 body... then slowly came down to about $1000 and eventually $900 and just stayed there. It didn't get this $200 to $250 extra price reduction until the 70D started shipping because the 70D is designed to replace the 60D.

The 70D's big new feature is that it can do "phase detect" autofocus on the sensor itself which makes it fantastic for continuous autofocus while shooting video (this is something it does better than any other DSLR camera on the market.) The 60D does not do continuous autofocus while shooting video. It will only focus when you press the focus button (in video mode this is the '*' button on the back) but that does a "contrast detection" focus (not phase-detect) which isn't as fast and also contrast-detect has to "hunt" for focus whereas phase-detect doesn't really hunt... it just snaps right to the correct focus position. This is because a nuance of the way phase-detect works is that the camera can tell if the lens is currently "inside" or "outside" the correct focus based on which direction the image is out of phase AND it can also see how far off it is. This means that when the camera has to focus, it doesn't actually "guess" at how to adjust focus... it actually knows and snaps to the correct position immediately. It's a much better system.

All DSLRs have phase-detect auto-focus sensors when they are NOT shooting video or not doing "live view" mode. So this big advantage that the 70D has will really only be a benefit when using live-view or when shooting video. The camera will not be any different when you're just shooting through the viewfinder for normal photography.

It's a nice benefit, but the 70D is about $400-450 more than a 60D. There are numerous other features of the 70D... it does WiFi and can be remotely controlled by Canon's wifi app (that they make available for smart-phones). It also has a touch-screen LCD so changing settings can be faster. But these are features that don't impact it's image quality... they impact how you interact and use the camera.

I purchased a reburbished 60D about 3 months ago now through Adorama and I absolutely love it. If video is a big selling point for you, then you might want to consider the 70D but I really like my 60D. And I couldn't even tell it was refurb other than the box it came in, everything looked and works like new

T3i has the same sensor of the T4i, T5i, 60D and 7D. So the low noise performance is pretty much the same. The T3i is the best choice for the bung.

Most reactions

Back