Low Light Hockey Introductions. Help!

Gobeshockey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I photograph for our local NAHL Junior hockey team and have been for the past year. They've changed up the introductions of the team and starting line. My problem falls with getting these introduction photos with a high ISO and then needing a decent shutter speed. I feel like such an idiot! Any advice would be great, I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark ii and a 70-200 mm 2.8 L series.

The following our my very sad recent attempts:

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

It would be nice if the club would let you aim the lights instead of some non-photog ice tech. Talk to them.

Arrange for a private session before a game where you can aim the lights AT the players, take some shots, and show the club the difference.

Then ask for LOTS more money, because, you know, photographer.

Are they using fog too ?? may create focusing issues for sharp photos.

You know you have to be at a certain Shutter speed ... everything else kinda falls into place or you gain excessive noise (or use PP to pull out of the shadows). Thus add/redirect lights as Designer mentions.

Get on the ice and use a flash. Other wise you're out of luck because it cant be done!

Either aim the lights..

Or go strobist. Gel some speedlights to match the color of the theatrical lights and mount them to the same rig as those lights. Aim them how you want. That way you don't mess with their lighting scheme and can control power as needed.

Yes, they do use fog & I can't say for sure who runs the lights. I know the guys that make the call for how they work, so it wouldn't be hard to ask them.

Designer - I actually do this out of the kindness of my heart. I don't get paid or I should say not money wise, but when the boys get D1 collage commintments it a pay off.

MSnowy- I shoot all of these on from the red line on the ice. There's a no flash policy, but I may be able to work something out with teams manager.

Thanks for the ideas and advice. I've been photographing for 10-years and just started hockey this past October when the photographer before me left for a job in a different state. He left some pretty big shoes to fill.

I am very appreciative of your help.

Designer - I actually do this out of the kindness of my heart.
Of course I had assumed that. You really need to try aiming those theatrical lights. It will make a big difference. If you're standing on the ice, then are you also allowed to use a tripod? Or at least a monopod?

(edit) There are some other techniques and homemade stability tricks you can use to steady your camera. These exposures will probably be quite long, as in at least half a second or more.

Make sure you have the DOF figured out, pre-aim at the same point for each player, use the focus-assist beam, and release the shutter when they are in the light. Remind them to "hold still" for just a second while you grab the shot.

I'd go with 2 flashes fired remotely, one attached to the right beam and one on the left beam. They will mix right into the light show.

I'd go with 2 flashes fired remotely, one attached to the right beam and one on the left beam. They will mix right into the light show.
She already said flash is not allowed.

You are making this way too complicated. First they are introduction photos, basically it's like team photo day for football or baseball. They are about as exciting as watching grass grow. One set a year is all they need.

Get with the coach, or what ever powers to be, set up a time at some practice when the players will all have to bring their uniforms, set up your lighting as you wish and go. That means the area guy will have to be there, the fog machine on etc. It's once, so it won't kill anyone. Make it easy on yourself and give them a mark to hit. Pre focus for that spot, be prepared and bang take the shot. If someone happens to be picking their nose or scratching where they shouldn't when they hit the mark you can take a mulligan. Easy peasy done and done.

Then you can concentrate on the action of the game without having to worry about intro shots.

Also said she could work something out with the teams manager. That policy is likely for during actual game play, and I'm sure they'd allow it pre game.

Although no flash policies for most sports are archaic at this time and based in fears that are unfounded.

yup saw that. This is what I'd do. I would explain to them that the only way to get good intro pictures is to use this setup. If they refused I'd scrap the whole idea because it's not worth the effort when you're shooting for free. Plus producing bad pictures just to have picture will only hurt your reputation as a photographer.

Most reactions

Back