low light photos with a cell phone

jimenita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! I need to take pictures at a club with little almost no light.any idea on which phone will be thebest to do this? If not a camera?where to ask about it?

Lumia phones have the best low light photos but you would need to keep them very still meaning a handheld photo would not be possible in low light situations

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

$image-1388584766.jpg

Taken with iPhone 4S handheld

Attachments

• $image-3975177680.jpg
    $image-3975177680.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 198
  • $image-3145259387.jpg
    $image-3145259387.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 201
Those are extraordinarily noisy photos. The first one is okay in the tiny size it displays at in the post, the other two, not even that.

Cell phones are inherently incapable of taking fantastic lowlight images handheld, because their tiny sensors and the tiny pixels on them, and the tiny lenses that fit in the phone simply cannot collect enough light to keep noise low enough. You can get recognizable photos to put on facebook, sure. But not gallery quality photos or something you'd want to hang on your wall in an 8x10 print that looks good.

Those are extraordinarily noisy photos. The first one is okay in the tiny size it displays at in the post, the other two, not even that. Cell phones are inherently incapable of taking fantastic lowlight images handheld, because their tiny sensors and the tiny pixels on them, and the tiny lenses that fit in the phone simply cannot collect enough light to keep noise low enough. You can get recognizable photos to put on facebook, sure. But not gallery quality photos or something you'd want to hang on your wall in an 8x10 print that looks good.

You missed the point ... "Handheld ... Low light... Phone cam" ... no one is talking about noise :)

Well actually, I'm not really sure whether we are exclusively talking about phones versus other cameras. The OP is written pretty confusingly
Hi! I need to take pictures at a club with little almost no light.any idea on which phone will be thebest to do this? If not a camera?where to ask about it?

Does that mean "if phones don't work, then what about cameras?"
or does that mean "cameras don't count, only talk about phones."

I'm not making fun of the OP. He's from Lebanon, I'm sure it's not his native language. But I legitimately do not know whether he's only asking about phones or about phones or "real" cameras. If he is at all considering an actual camera, then I would suggest that, because even the low-end ones with the right cheaply available lenses will do massively better than cell phones in low light.

Most reactions

Back