Low-Light wedding tips?? Please advise/help?!

Skip the D7000. The D700 has come down in price quite a bit, and your 28-70 2.8 will work fine for it. It will be quite a bit wider than you are used to, but will deliver better backgrounds, better noise performance, and better focus.

Now, on that note, with a D700, you will no longer have a medium telephoto lens. You will need to add about $600(minimum) for the 80-200 push-pull 2.8. If you have a larger budget, you can go with the 70-200 VR or VRII. If you don't, you can rent until then.

In Texas, there are very, very few ceremonies that allow flash, so we shoot pretty much available light(during the processional and recessional, we are generally alowed to use flash, but not always). I will give you a lay out on how we usually shoot. Generally, we have one photographer just off the center of the aisle with a 70-200 2.8 IS(he's cannon), and he is also carrying a 24-70 2.8. If we can get relatively close, another photographer is using a 35 1.4 or a 70-200 2.8 IS. Generally, I get stuck with the longer stuff so I am usually on a tripod shooting with a 70-300 VR. That changed recently when I upgraded to a 120-300 2.8.

Basically, we shoot with three shooters and we run all the way from 24 to 300 at 2.8 from different angles. Trying to do it with one person almost necessitates two camera bodies with different focal lengths.

So, for you, my advice, pick up a D700 and a 70/80-200 2.8. Depending on the venue, use the D700 for your most used lens, and use the D3000 for your least used lens.

Unfortunately, you are significantly under-equipped for low light wedding photography. Perhaps renting as Ccericola advised would be more advantageous to you in the short term if your budget doesn't allow purchasing what you really need.

For me, shooting on my own, I wouldn't do it without two bodies that can comfortably shoot at ISO 1600 or higher, a tripod, lenses that span 24 to 200 with a 2.8 aperture, two high end speedlights, a studio light(modifiers, triggers, stands, etc), and at least one prime lens at a comfortable focal length for when none of the rest will work. To be fair, I lack the 70 to 120(at 2.8) range because of the choices I made. So far, I haven't found it a hinderance, but I will be picking up an 85 1.4 to fill the gap.

I live in a small town where equipment rental in not readily available. I'm sure I could rent via internet somehow, but I have the means to spend approx $2-3000 on equipment upgrades.
As I mentioned above, I'm a decent portrait photographer and have been doing quite well in my small business venture.
Weddings are not my passion, but if I do them for family or friends, I would like to be able to give professional results. So I will use the occasional need to do a wedding as the perfect excuse to buy new equipment! :)
Just so I can clarify though.. the D700 will out perform the D7000 in low light. Correct?

Yes, the D700 blows the D7000 out of the water. However, it still needs flattering light, good composition, and good glass to make a decent photo.

And in today's world, there is no town too small to gain access to equipment rental. If you have a credit card, it can be there in a few days.

I wavered between the D7000 and the D700 for low light. The D700 won and I haven't regretted it. Derrel was the guy who swayed my opinion and I still think he's the bees knees. BTW, I picked up a 10 year old Nikon ED 80-200 f2.8D on Ebay at a good price so used is an option that's worth investigating. Now the D800 is out you may be able to find some good used D700 bodies for sale, too.

As soon as the D800 was announced I was looking for a d700 daily everywhere. Eventually I got fed up and picked up a d7000 - it was very impressive and blew me away with its speed and ISO performance...I used a D90 before (which I still use as a backup) and it was definitely a noticeable step up. However, I was lucky to find a d700 a few days after that and decided to make the jump and return the d7000. I used it as much as I could over a few short days as I had a wedding to photograph that weekend and man, it was impressive. The 24-70 f2.8 pairs amazing with it and my 50mm 1.4 (and 85 1.8) were perfect for the reception. Being able to really crank up the ISO and use fast glass really helped retain how beautiful the light setting was in both the ceremony and reception. Thankfully my 2nd photographer has a 70-200 as he shot primarily with that so I could use the 24-70. A 70-200 2.8 is definitely on my list as I need something beyond 85 at the moment, but I also really like the 135mm DC so I may substitute it instead!

and I agree - d700s are slowly popping up everywhere now that the d800 is out!

As soon as the D800 was announced I was looking for a d700 daily everywhere. Eventually I got fed up and picked up a d7000 - it was very impressive and blew me away with its speed and ISO performance...I used a D90 before (which I still use as a backup) and it was definitely a noticeable step up. However, I was lucky to find a d700 a few days after that and decided to make the jump and return the d7000. I used it as much as I could over a few short days as I had a wedding to photograph that weekend and man, it was impressive. The 24-70 f2.8 pairs amazing with it and my 50mm 1.4 (and 85 1.8) were perfect for the reception. Being able to really crank up the ISO and use fast glass really helped retain how beautiful the light setting was in both the ceremony and reception. Thankfully my 2nd photographer has a 70-200 as he shot primarily with that so I could use the 24-70. A 70-200 2.8 is definitely on my list as I need something beyond 85 at the moment, but I also really like the 135mm DC so I may substitute it instead!

and I agree - d700s are slowly popping up everywhere now that the d800 is out!

Often for under $2,000 too!

Get the d7000. The ISO capabilities will solve you problem. What that doesn't solve some cheap flash units will. Getting that motor and some more flash would be a lot cheaper then a full frame upgrade.

I played with the D7000 today and I LOVE it!! I cranked it up to 6400 and on screen it looked pretty good! I'm going to look at a 700 and then decide. Thanks for all the information. I look forward to trying out a low-light event with my new gear!!

I played with the D7000 today and I LOVE it!! I cranked it up to 6400 and on screen it looked pretty good! I'm going to look at a 700 and then decide. Thanks for all the information. I look forward to trying out a low-light event with my new gear!!

I would go with the d7000 unless you have a sufficient supply of FX lenses. Otherwise you will have to upgrade all of your lenses. Its not a bad way to go but just not sure if you want to finance that sort of endeavor.

Most reactions

Back