Macro question

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is it possible to take a good macro shot with a p&s camera?

I realize that with the p&s it isn't really a "true" macro anyway, but more of a close-up, but my problem is getting the shot to come sharp. The camera's user guide says that in Macro mode the shot should be composed using the LCD screen --yah right. What I "see" on the LCD screen while composing the shot, whether its in macro mode or normal shooting, never looks sharp and clear like it does through the view finder; it always looks fuzzy to me. So how is someone supposed to get a good sharp macro shot if they can't see the subject clearly enough on the LCD to tell if it's in focus? Any thoughts, experience with, or suggestions appreciated. I'm using a Canon Powershot A570is with a 2.5" LCD.

Actually, close up photography is one thing that many P&S cameras do fairly well. Not as well as a good camera with a good 'Macro' lens...but still pretty good.

Firstly, I'd suggest that you use a tripod or something to hold the camera so that you are not holding it. Then you can use the self timer to fire it.

If you can, put the camera into Av (aperture priority mode) and set a small aperture (higher F number). This will give you more DOF and make it easier to get your subject in focus.

If your camera has a macro mode, use it. Check your specs to find the minimum focus distance (there should be one for normal mode and maybe another distance for macro mode). You will need to keep the camera at least that far away from the subject or else the lens won't be able to focus.

Thanks Mike.
My camera does have a macro mode, but the problem is seeing the subject clearly on the LCD screen [which is supposed to be used for macro composition] I can't see anything clearly enough on the LCD to be sure I have it in focus so its always hit or miss and most often its miss.....

I haven't used a P&S very much, but I would think that you just have to trust the AF to do it's thing. The main thing you have to do, is make sure that it's not within the minimum focus distance.

I have taken one of my all time favorites (my cat with a grasshopper hanging out of his mouth) with a P&S and it turned out beautiful.

Just get as close as you can while staying out of the minimal focus area. Also, be sure to set your photo size as large as possible so you can crop in as needed without losing clarity. (That's how I did it anyway!)

Thanks Mike & Lyncca, Maybe I am getting in a little too close. I'll try and trust the AF a bit more too. Setting the photo size large sounds like a good possibility too - worth a try. Thanks guys!

Try adding a little light to the subject to help you compose and the camera to focus. A desk lamp or even a flash light. Your cameras flash will provide the correct exposure, so don't worry about leaving the light on or off during the shutter release.

Setting the photo size large sounds like a good possibility too
Set it at the largest and finest (best detail) and leave it there...forever. There is no reason to shoot with a lower size or quality setting. If you run out of room on your memory card, just go buy another, bigger one.

Set it at the largest and finest (best detail) and leave it there...forever. There is no reason to shoot with a lower size or quality setting. If you run out of room on your memory card, just go buy another, bigger one.

:thumbup: Will do! Thanks

Try adding a little light to the subject to help you compose and the camera to focus. A desk lamp or even a flash light. Your cameras flash will provide the correct exposure, so don't worry about leaving the light on or off during the shutter release.

I'll give it a try too. Thanks

I just joined.. But, I use a P&S camera [for now].

You could be to far away like some others have mentioned.. or you might be to close to the subject to focus on it correctly. I plan to upgrading to a DSLR soon, but i plan to keep my olympus sp-510 uz for close up shots because I won't be purchasing a macro lense.

Here is a picture I've taken with my P&S of someones eye.

EM008copy.jpg

*edit* btw, that was in a macro mode. There are 2 on my camera, Macro and Super Macro. Also, is there a way to post as a thumbnail instead? Sorry if the image is to large.

WOW! I can't get anything near that good. The best I've been able to do so far are these :

cocoonsmall.jpg

crcatnice1pb.jpg

evergreen.jpg

Macro photography oftentimes requires off camera lighting in order to get some really stunning images (or using natural light with a large aperture and/or high ISO). With on camera flash you're going to get a lot of weird, unwanted shadows.

Dagwood, is there any way to turn up the contrast on your camera?

I would grab a piece of printer paper and set up a white backdrop.. and then grab something small.. like a hotwheels or a ligther.. and practice distances to find out what is good. That way you have a controlled environment with a fixed object to compare.

Also if you can, you might wanna change it to 1 fixed focus point if its not already like that in a macro mode... that way, what you point the camera at.. is what will be in focus [Hopefully].

Macro photography oftentimes requires off camera lighting in order to get some really stunning images

Yeah, someone suggested using a flashlight -they're cheap, I can afford one of those. lol I'm not sure if I can set an aperture when I'm in macro mode. I'm still learning the camera - it has lots of features I'm just not sure how to access all of them yet.
Thanks for the input I apprecicate it.

I would grab a piece of printer paper and set up a white backdrop.. and then grab something small.. like a hotwheels or a ligther.. and practice distances to find out what is good. That way you have a controlled environment with a fixed object to compare.

Also if you can, you might wanna change it to 1 fixed focus point if its not already like that in a macro mode... that way, what you point the camera at.. is what will be in focus [Hopefully].

Thats sounds like a good idea too. I do recall seeing something in the manual about focus lock, and I do think it mentioned macro mode in its use description. Guess I'll be reading through the manual again tonight. lol

Thanks a lot everyone.

Most reactions

Back