Maine Sunset | I Missed It

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ever since graduating, I've been missing Downeast Maine. Not so much for the school aspect, but for all the locations to shoot.

My uncle lives on the shore, and tonight while visiting I ran down and setup my gear before the sun set. Once I found the composition I had in mind, I set up my gear. There was a really strong exposure difference between the sky and shore, so I had to use three different graduated neutral density filters. It was a beautiful night, and it really makes me miss Maine... nothing compares.

Nikon D800
Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII
Lee 0.6 GND Hard
Lee 0.6 GND Soft
HiTech 0.6 Reverse GND

Sinking... by f_one_eight, on Flickr

This was after the sun had truly set, and I found two leaves on a rock near me, and placed them on the rock in front of the camera in an ode to summer and the beginning of fall. Pretty soon I'll be unable to wear just a thin thermal while shooting!

Nikon D800
Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII
Lee 0.6 GND Hard
Lee 06 GND Soft
Natural light

An Ode to Summer by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Thoughts?

Cheers!
Jake

#1 is pleasing to the eye.. I love the calm colors in #2 but other than the coloring its not doing much for me.

#1 is pleasing to the eye.. I love the calm colors in #2 but other than the coloring its not doing much for me.

Excellent! I wanted a calm/peaceful photo. So I guess it worked.

Jake

I'm not a fan of portrait landscapes, unless its like a waterfall or something you want to emphasize height. So for me, the second one does not work IMO.

But I know why you did that, to frame in the rock ;)

However, I love both scenes, and don't think you missed anything. They are each good in their own way.

Peaceful and calm. Nicely done.

I really like both of them. I would print both of them out and hang them on my wall if they were mine. Your landscapes really inspire me to go out and shoot my own landscapes.

I only have the teeniest tiniest complaint about #2, I wish you'd gotten a bit lower to the rock and leaves.

They're beautiful. I just ordered a set of soft-edged GNDs, I can't wait to give 'em a go.

I'm not a fan of portrait landscapes, unless its like a waterfall or something you want to emphasize height. So for me, the second one does not work IMO.

However, I love both scenes, and don't think you missed anything. They are each good in their own way.

Thanks man. I know, seascapes like that and verticals are not always a good idea.. But this time I think it worked. But, don't you have something against verticals anyway? Haha.

Thanks man. I know, seascapes like that and verticals are not always a good idea.. But this time I think it worked. But, don't you have something against verticals anyway? Haha.
HAHA, touche!!!!!! My camera freaks out when I turn it sideways ;) lol

I really like both of them. I would print both of them out and hang them on my wall if they were mine. Your landscapes really inspire me to go out and shoot my own landscapes.

Wow, that's quite the compliment. Thank you!

Jake

I only have the teeniest tiniest complaint about #2, I wish you'd gotten a bit lower to the rock and leaves.

They're beautiful. I just ordered a set of soft-edged GNDs, I can't wait to give 'em a go.

Yeah, me too. But I was running out of time and my tripod wasn't agreeing with me... I really need a new head and an L-Bracket...

And sweet! They'll change how you approach landscapes and such.

Jake

HAHA, touche!!!!!! My camera freaks out when I turn it sideways ;) lol

I knew it!

I don't really like the "centered" composition.

But by "i don't really like them" I mean they're fantastic shots that are perfectly exposed that would be that much better if the composition was tweaked slightly. And I'm really digging the portrait length one.

I don't really like the "centered" composition.

But by "i don't really like them" I mean they're fantastic shots that are perfectly exposed that would be that much better if the composition was tweaked slightly. And I'm really digging the portrait length one.

Yeah.. I'm still not sure whether or not I like the compositions.

Jake

Just tweaked it in paint (no PS / LR at work). Not really sure about this crop either though

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 134
Absolutely gorgeous Jake.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back