Mandolin

Sorry. I lump this in with old barns, covered bridges, and backyard flowers.

Why is it such a harsh request to ask for something fresh and new, even if it's a fresh and new take on a cliche?

Seen it soooooooooooooo many times before.

Gee, so sorry to bore you. At least I have the decency to not crap on sombody's thread if I dont like what they submitted. Sorry for being a newbie and posting something I thought was cool. I guess my photos are crap.

OK everybody, except Alpha, here is my new take from your suggestions.

_8072451-3_filtered.jpg

Sorry. I lump this in with old barns, covered bridges, and backyard flowers.

Why is it such a harsh request to ask for something fresh and new, even if it's a fresh and new take on a cliche?

Because not everyone is perfect. Because some people are here to learn. Because emulating things done before is a good way to learn the tools that will allow us to branch into things are fresh and new. Because not everyone has seen everything and therefore what is tired and old to you may be fresh and new to us. Because people post here and ask for feedback to learn how to make something that may have been done before fresh and new. Because none of us are the final arbiter on anything. Because slamming something as a having been seen "soooooooooooooo many times before" is condescending and rude and a good way to chase people who might become great photographers off. Because there are more constructive ways of telling someone that it's not original, while encouraging them to be more original. Because even if it has been done before a person can get valuable feedback on technique. Because...

WOW Pugs, nicely put and thanks. Everything you said is true with me. I just got my camera last November and there still is a lot to learn. I dont post many pictures but this one I liked and wanted other opinions. I got them and took the advice and posted another.
Thanks again

OK everybody, except Alpha, here is my new take from your suggestions.

This is far more interesting to me. I still think that the depth of field could be expanded a wee bit, but I love the steeper angle because it gives so much more of the detail in the wood of the fretboard and the individual winding in the wound strings. The angle also removes the optical illusion causing the strings to look like they're bending in your first take.

The contrast is better giving a much more complete tonal range from white to black which also helps accentuate the small details.

I'd like to see the depth of field expanded a smidge for two reasons. First, I'd like the composition to not blur out so quickly as I mentioned in my first post (though this one is an improvement!). Also, I liked that one of the frets was in focus in the first one. That gave a strong horizontal line to balance the vertical lines. If the depth of field were to be expanded a bit in the second pic, one or both of the frets around the focused area would be in focus as well.

Again, this is my two-bits and should be taken with the understanding that I'm not that far past beginner level.

Thanks for all the wrods of wisdom. I might give it a go again this weekend when there is more light. This was done after I got home from work and the sun was coming down. I do not use a flas because I dont want the harsh shadows. I will take your suggestion and see what I come up with although I really do like this one a lot better than the first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back