Manual focus

well, like others said, the easiest way is with a split screen focus screen. makes it a snap. Some of the DSLR's allow you to switch out the focus screens but i think they are only the higher end ones.
on nikon i think you can switch out focusing screens on the D200/D300

i saw some stuff on google about switching out the screen on a D40 too though it looked sketch

New DSLRs make MF rather difficult. Also, having less than perfect eyesight makes it difficult. Try adjusting the diopter and see if that helps. If it doesn't, it's just a lousy viewfinder. Look in a Nikon D3 to see a REAL viewfinder.

Yep, modern cameras really aren't designed with manual focus in mind-that function is very much an afterthought.
If you really want to get an idea of what manual focus is all about try a manual, non-autofocus SLR like a Nikon FM2 with a prime lens; beautiful, big and bright viewfinder image makes focussing like childsplay and the solid, metal body makes your average,plastic DSLR feel like something Fisher-Price put together;)

Does your autofocus shot look the way you want it? Can you take a shot in autofocus and than try the same shot in manual?

i use nikon d40x..where can i get focus screens for manual focus?

Since no one feels like actually answering your question:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

I use their screen in my D200. For me it serves the purpose of checking if my camera is really AF right. I rarely find the need for manual focus but when I do the screen is a lifesaver.

Sorry I thought I was being helpful. Noone mentioned the fact that there could be an issue with his equipment. Really even if you messed around for days you'd have it in focus eventually no matter what photography experience.

Split screens make life so much easier.

amen.

EDIT
*i think i may have misunderstood your term...are you referring to split focus ring?...or is split screen a new thing that i am totally unaware of?*

I am old with lousy eyesight. Two things that help are a custom screen and a magnifying viewfinder. So far, I just have the magnifying viewfinder and I can actually focus manually now.

amen.

EDIT
*i think i may have misunderstood your term...are you referring to split focus ring?...or is split screen a new thing that i am totally unaware of?*
He's referring to a focussing screen where the central portion contains a circle divided into two, horizontal split prisms. If your image is out of focus it will appear 'split' or mismatched horizontally. Turn the focussing ring until the two halves match and you're in focus.
These screens were standard on manual focus SLR's until autofocus and digital took over.

He's referring to a focussing screen where the central portion contains a circle divided into two, horizontal split prisms. If your image is out of focus it will appear 'split' or mismatched horizontally. Turn the focussing ring until the two halves match and you're in focus.
These screens were standard on manual focus SLR's until autofocus and digital took over.

ok cool...we're on the same page then...
my old zeiss contaflex super has a split screen focus ring...def makes it easier to manual focus....

thanks for the confirmation.

The cameras all have a focus confirmation dot that'll appear in the lower left of the finder when you've got good manual focus. I use it all the time and get in-focus photos. You should try to post some example photos with full shot data (in the EXIF) because for all anybody knows you might be having other issues too.

Most reactions

Back