Maternity session

TMarie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
4617cce82515da4650120434239b4f7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Welcome to the forum!

A few thoughts on the image: While this is a very "traditional" materinity pose, it really doesn't work as well when the subject is square to the camera as we really can't see the "belly" which is more-or-less the object of the exercise. In general people and in particular women should avoid posing square to the camera presenting what is referred to as "football shoulders". Turning her slightly to the left or right would have greatly improved the overall image and made her "belly" stand out more. Your placement of the horizon in the center of the image is generally not ideal,a nd the image appears to have been drastically over-sharpened.

None of that to say that it's a bad image, just that like with any artistic work, there are ways to improve.

Shades of American Gothic. Kind'a offbeat, kinda' a lil' bit weird, kinda' artsy...the tree reminds me of the Thornberry trees used to create cattle-resistant hedgerows back in the 1930's here in the western USA...scraggly trees, but with sharp thorns that kept cattle, and sheep, and trespassers away! The stock pond or the irrigation pond behind her, the landscape, the time of year...all very un-conventional, slightly edgy. Likely relevant to the mother to be and where she lives and what time of the year the baby is at the stage it is.

I love how it appears that her hair is blowing just slightly! I love the hand placement too, I think if she was slightly turned to the side or all the way turned to the side, this would have really screamed maternity and that's probably what you'd like. This pose is hard to pull off, it almost never works with a black shirt too. Also, with women - I try to never shoot from below, it's more flattering to be just slightly elevated in comparison to their height. (I'm shorter than some so I need to bring a stool or find an area with somewhat of a dip for them to stand in) Keep going and just take a little bit of what people tell you and apply it with a mix of what you want to achieve.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back