Memory card went for a swim

Mbnmac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I've been wondering all week where one of my SD cards had gone, I'm putting washing away today and notice a pocket has something hard in it.

Sure enough it's my SD card in the case.

I'll let it dry out for another day or so then give it a try, provided there's no moisture it should be OK right?

What's the silliest thing you've done to a piece of equipment?

-Mbn

edit - I should probably put some comment in here about 'cleaning out the data' or something, but I suck at that kind of stuff

I had one go through the washer and dryer (left it in my shirt pocket), still works like a champ.

I've put more than one memory card through the wash... :blushing:

Find a small, sealable container and put some uncooked rice in the bottom. Place a small piece of paper across the top of the rice and lay your memeory card on top of the paper, and put it somewhere where it won't be disturbed for a couple of days. The uncooked rice will absorb the moisture, and it should be fine.

Tried to lick the front element of a D200 to thaw the ice that built up on it due to condensation when the air temperature was -50degC. Not only did my tounge freeze to the element, but my drool just built up on the filter. None the less this is exactly why I put a filter on my lens in the first place and I used a stick to chip away at the ice till the front element was clear. And before some smartarse asks why I didn't just remove the filter, I tried that. Me no stupid :p

Although I felt stupid because after I finally chipped the lens free of ice I realised a) my battery in the camera had frozen, and after I swapped it for the battery in my pocket I realised that b) my shutter had mechanically jammed and it was the end of my shooting session that day.

Oh and I've sent my memory card through the wash about 10 times.

Tried to lick the front element of a D200 to thaw the ice that built up on it due to condensation when the air temperature was -50degC. Not only did my tounge freeze to the element, but my drool just built up on the filter. None the less this is exactly why I put a filter on my lens in the first place and I used a stick to chip away at the ice till the front element was clear. And before some smartarse asks why I didn't just remove the filter, I tried that. Me no stupid :p

Although I felt stupid because after I finally chipped the lens free of ice I realised a) my battery in the camera had frozen, and after I swapped it for the battery in my pocket I realised that b) my shutter had mechanically jammed and it was the end of my shooting session that day.

Oh and I've sent my memory card through the wash about 10 times.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I still have my first memory card from like 10 years ago it's so clean I can eat my dinner off it.

As long as the bearings inside the card are chromed, (and most are), they won't rust and you shouldn't have a problem...

:Joker:

Most reactions

Back