Metal and Microwaves

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
So the other day I was hungry but the only bread we had was frozen. I throw the bag in the microwave and come back a minute later. It smelled bad for some reason. Apparently the twist-tie thing that hold the bag shut has a tiny little strip of metal. It burnt off all the paper on the twist-tie and was burning the plastic bag.

:lol:

ferny said:
Boiled eggs are GREAT in microwaves.
:badangel:

heheh I tried to boil them there but nothing really happened inside... I just put an egg inside and turned the microwave owen for 5 minutes... ok ok ... I was little then and I forgot to put it in a water...

ok... something happened but after 7 minutes...... :p:p:p you need to try that :p

I put an already boiled egg in a glass of water to get one of those plastic Easter decorations to shrink onto the egg.... 45 seconds into the cooking, I was given quite the surprise. I think the oven even came off of the counter.

jadin said:
Wanna see something cool? Put a cd in one for about 2-3 seconds. (use sparingly it's bad for your waviator). Neato!

Not responsible for damages. :popcorn:
:lmao: my mom would kill me if she caught me doing that.. :lmao:

jadin said:
Wanna see something cool? Put a cd in one for about 2-3 seconds. (use sparingly it's bad for your waviator). Neato!

Not responsible for damages. :popcorn:
Yeah, keep going and it'll turn you lungs to jelly. The gas it gives off isn't very good for you. ;)

I've done a cd, which was really cool, and I've also put a bar of soap in the microwave (bubbles like crazy). It was difficult to explain to mom when she came home why the microwave smelled like soap (I can't remember the excuse my brother and I used).

Incase anyone was curious, the way I was explained how microwaves worked was by making the electrons in water move like crazy. Making friction them heat up. What's interesting is if you place something in the microwave completely devoid of water whatsoever, the item will not heat up at all. No matter how long you cook it for.

But based on this I can only assume that metal has water in it? Or else it's water AND metal that are affected. Pretty cool if you ask me. You could cook a fully dehydrated beef jerky for a week and it'd still be as cool as the day you put it in. But add a drop of water and you get roasted beef. (In so few a words). Aren't instruments err microwaves fun?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back