minipods

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by danir, Oct 25, 2006.

1. danir

danir No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I own a Nikon N80, and I'm looking for the smallest tripod that can support it (plus the 70-300 lens). I could not find any minipod that supports the weight.
    Does anyone know of such a minipod?

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, no, I don't, particularly not with the long zoom lens. Mine would not support my 350D and the Sigma 70-300mm, either. It only works with the small compact Powershot. The 350D will only just fall onto its "nose"...

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a couple mini-pods...but I don't think I've ever tried them with my 70-300 lens. They might work...as long as one leg is directly under the lens.

Another thing you might try is a bean bag. Just put the camera onto the surface (ground, car, table etc) and then use the bean bag to prop up the lens.

4. danir

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks,
    The bean bag is a nice idea.

5. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    As Big Mike said, beanbags [old socks stuffed with dried Navy beans] will certainly get the dog walked. If you're after precise positioning, here are a couple of additional possibilities.

If cost is not an object, you can hit the scientific supply sites and pick up a ring stand and a clamp or two. Not an elegant solution to be sure, but it should work. You can place a weight on the ring stand base to counter any 'Kamakazi nosedive' tendencies. It should also be possible to strip the head from a 'pocket' tripod and epoxy it to the clamp.

As an alternative, some older tripods such as the Star D series had center posts which are reversible. This puts the head between the legs of the tripod and as low to the ground as you wish.

6. danir

Photos OK to edit
    I was actually looking for a minipod not because of the hight but because I like to travel as light as possible. I was just looking for something that fold really small.

7. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Another option is the monopod. It really can help stabilize your camera. It isn't a tripod but it is better than hand held. It folds up pretty small. It also makes a good walking stick if you decide not to fold it up.