Missing JPEG images on SD card

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A few minutes ago I inserted an SD into my laptop computer. I got an error message stating that the SD card could not be read. No matter how I tried to import the pictures or copy them. Nothing would work. The computer could not read the SD card. I just got an error message stating there was a read problem. I put the SD card back into the Nikon D610 and the pictures were there. Then I put the SD card back into the computer and it only detected one picture.

I put the SD card back into the camera and all the pictures were gone. My computer reads the SD card from the Nikon D3200 just fine.

I took around 100 macro pictures today and now they are all gone. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you,

Lonnie

Maybe try a different cable to your card reader, or perhaps try another card reader entirely. The fact that you can see the pictures in the camera and that you can transfer pictures from the camera to the computer give me hope that the problem is just with the cable or the card reader. If you are using the same cable to connect the camera and the card reader, then the issue is most likely with the card reader itself.

It is possible that the setting on the camera for the folder to playback is causing older folders to be "invisible"... I have had this occur several times to me... in the setup menu under playback you have several different choices. If your camera is set to current, then it's possible that the other 99 pictures are in a folder like DSC - 102 and the single picture that you can see is in a newly created folder like DSC - 103. Unless your playback folder is set to "all" the camera will only show you what is in the most recently created folder. The last time this happened to me was at my last wedding. About 3/4 of the way through the event my first 500 shots "disappeared"...alarming.

It is possible that the setting on the camera for the folder to playback is causing older folders to be "invisible"... I have had this occur several times to me... in the setup menu under playback you have several different choices. If your camera is set to current, then it's possible that the other 99 pictures are in a folder like DSC - 102 and the single picture that you can see is in a newly created folder like DSC - 103. Unless your playback folder is set to "all" the camera will only show you what is in the most recently created folder. The last time this happened to me was at my last wedding. About 3/4 of the way through the event my first 500 shots "disappeared"...alarming.

Hi Derrel, In the playback folder there are 3 choices. ND610, All, and Current. It is set on ND610.

Maybe try a different cable to your card reader, or perhaps try another card reader entirely. The fact that you can see the pictures in the camera and that you can transfer pictures from the camera to the computer give me hope that the problem is just with the cable or the card reader. If you are using the same cable to connect the camera and the card reader, then the issue is most likely with the card reader itself.

I cannot see the pictures now. They are gone. I don't know what happened to them.

They are very likely still on the card. Unless you hit format or erase all there is a high likelihood that the pictures are on the card.

They are very likely still on the card. Unless you hit format or erase all there is a high likelihood that the pictures are on the card.

Thank you for the help Derrel. The photo program removed the pictures from the SD card. They are no where to be found. I did some research on how to remove the 'Photo's' program from the computer. Had to go into 'Powershell' and type in a couple of codes. I will never let another free photo editing program access my SD card again. I will download it the data manually. Then I will upload it to a photo editing program if the photos need edited.

Sorry to hear about this.

I think we should have a memorial service and officially grieve over my loss, lol. Actually I'm on the road to recovery. As it turns out I was more upset over being told that the 'Photos' program could not be removed from my new computer. The computer shop said it was a default program and could not be uninstalled. I went out on the internet and found out different. I removed the program by opening up 'Powershell', then typing in a couple of codes. Within 20 seconds the program was successfully removed.

Illinois has opened up state parks for limited use. I am going out to celebrate. Thanks again for the advice.

Lonnie

A little late in the day
Sorry to hear you lost images. I have the t shirt,
Use your camera to format the card as every once in a while the pc format throws a mis match that can over time lead to read/write errors.
But I copy twice direct from sd card once to hdd and once to an external hdd before I do anything else.
NB I am canon based so if this does not relate to you, then disregard

The pictures are probably still on the card. There are programs that can recover them.
I used Photorec to recover pictures on a card once with 100% success. Its a command line tool so its not for everyone.

Terry

There are a number of easy to use recovery software apps.

You don't say why but is there a reason you are not using Nikon Transfer 2 that comes with ViewNX-i to download the images from the card to your computer?

It is a free download from Nikon's website and you may find it will see the images on the card. You may have to set your preferences to use Nikon Transfer 2 as the default program when a card is inserted but give it a try. Otherwise you are going to need some recovery software to pull the images off the card, there's several out there, some are free and do work.

Am I the only one who really hates software to transfer pictures from the card to computer? I find this such an annoying time consuming thing to do!
I plug in the card, open it in explorer, copy the lot and paste it in my desired place on the computer

Have you always tried to access via software? Have you checked just in explorer?

Am I the only one who really hates software to transfer pictures from the card to computer? I find this such an annoying time consuming thing to do!
I plug in the card, open it in explorer, copy the lot and paste it in my desired place on the computer

Have you always tried to access via software? Have you checked just in explorer?

Nikon Capture 2 does not operate in this manner. It is much more automated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back