Misspelling of my name

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Fiendish Astronaut, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Fiendish Astronaut

Fiendish Astronaut TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A major label has used my image in the centre fold of a band's new album sleeve. I got paid for it and I'm excited about it. I saw a preview copy of the album today and I'm credited of course - but they spelled my surname wrong! I contacted the label and my contact there was extremely apologetic and tells me that the initial print run was 100k but all subsequent runs will have it corrected. (She thinks at least another 900k)

Okay, annoying - but more of a blow is that it is great promotion. The misspelt name isn't a common one so may not be too difficult to get ontop Google, but does anyone have any ideas what I can do to direct anyone who Google's my name to the right place effectively and quickly? The album's out on Monday!

I don't want to make too much of a fuss with the label - as I would obviously like to deal with them again!

Any good advice? Thanks in advance.

2. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, congrats on having your pic used!!!! "Excited" is probably too much of an understatement of what you're feeling on seeing it.

Hmmm, can you create a website with the misspelled version of the name, and have an announcement on the first page that if the searcher is looking for (ben-yakobi, the photographer), go to (ben-yacobi.com). Then make sure the pic is prominent on both sites, so they don't think someone is trying to scam them into going to the wrong site

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are worried about people having a hard time finding your web site, you could register a domain name with the wrong spelling, and just have it redirect to your site.

4. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats what I was thinking.

5. Fiendish Astronaut

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks - but that won't necessarily return in a search engine. Been doing a lot of research onto learning hoe to imrove search results. Might do a holding page with a note how to get to my proper page. Thanks for the feedback. And yes it is exciting! Be better if I was credited properly though... :-(

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I has a dollar for every misspelled name on a CD/album jacket...I'd be one rich dude.

7. Fiendish Astronaut

Photos OK to edit
    I'd have a dollar. Now make that a dollar for every print made - THEN I'd be rich!

8. logan9967

logan9967 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    change you name to the incorrect spelling?? seems like people like it better :D

9. astrostu

astrostu Guest

You could include a note on your website that's something like, "I got this sweet contract with my photo being used [here]. Unfortunately, they spelled my name wrong as "[name]." I've contacted them and they'll fix it for future runs."

That text will be picked up by Google and so that spelling will then direct to your site.

10. Fiendish Astronaut

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies. I bought the alternative site with a redirecting but on it.
    Putting a note on the main page does not fit in with the mood of my website but it's a good idea and I would use it if I had a slightly different style to the page. Might put something on my blog though...

11. KristinaS

KristinaS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Unrelated to this thread, I checked out your Web page and I really like your work.

12. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are familiar with metadata, then add the incorrect name in the metadata of your site, it'll improve google search results.