Monkey Island native, Independence KS

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by sabbath999, May 27, 2009.

1. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

OK, although this picture is nothing to brag about content-wise, I am actually a bit proud of it. This monkey was in the shade of a castle on Monkey Island, with both extremely bright sunlight and shade in the background. Metering was REALLY tricky.

I ended up metering the door, setting everything up and then waiting for a monkey to show up to sit on it (they used the doortop a lot) and after about 5 minutes, one did just that.

EXIF: D300, 70-200 VR, TC-17, 240MM 1/160 at F/10, ISO 400

2. Al-Wazeer

Al-Wazeer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    nice photo, I still don't understand what is metering, i know it has something with adjusting the lighting in the photo or something like that, but never used other than matrix metering...

3. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I set the dial to "spot" meter off of the board (the D300 has the metering modes on a dial) which basically means it just meters the one area, then I hit the exposure lock button and waited for the monkey to frame it up.

Interestingly, the EXIF doesn't show that it was spot metered, rather it has some vague "pattern" thing... but that's how I did it.

4. Flower Child

Flower Child TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice shot! These monkeys look quick I bet it was hard to catch them. Looks like you are in my neck of the woods, my school always took us to Independence zoo for field trips when I was in elementary school. I doubt you know where McCune, KS is--- is a tiny town in between Pittsburg and Parsons, Kansas. Thats where I live.