Monopds

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Graham18ce, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Graham18ce

Graham18ce TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey people.
    I'm still trying to figure out what lens to get, flipping between the Nikon 80-200 with a 2x (does the 2x keep the auto focus and metering?) and the 120-400 Sigma.
    Both of these are getting beasty and i normal shoot freehand, although i think the weight will get to me after a weekend of shooting.
    Any recomendations on decent but not bank killing mono's?

What are the things to look for, avoid, must haves, etc...

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    just a point but my experiences of a 70-200mm lens (a canon L so similar I think in quality to the 80-200mm you are looking at) are that a 2*Tc is not the easiest of TCs to use. My 1.4 is almost always on the 70-200mm and that works well, a focal length boost with little image degradation and only one stop of light lost.
    Nikon make a 1.7TC and from what I have heard its a very good TC so that might be a better option if your after a longer lens.
    If you are going to use a 2*TC to get the best results your subject has to really fill the frame as much as possible - if not its going to lack quality at the larger image sizes and prints.
    I have some examples of my 70-200mm + 2*TC
    little birds photos test - a set on Flickr
    *(note one can get improved performance with this combo if you use a pro end body - but they cost a lot!)*

Also if the 80-200mm is not an f2.8 (or wider) lens than auto focus is going to be tricky; whilst nikon cameras don't stop AF functinality due to small apertures on a lens (when wide open) after f5.6 the accuracy and speed starts to nosedive quickly (unless your using a pro end camera).

3. Graham18ce

Graham18ce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good points, that was why i was sort of leaning towards the 120-400. I really need to be in the 400 range, i think the 1.7 might be close enough to work, and i have heard good things about it...
    the 80-200 is a 2.8 so a 2x would still be putting me in the 5.6 range.

I'm off to Henry's tonight to look at these first hand and see what other options i have too...Maybe the 80-400 although i hear the focus is really slow on that.