More from the first excursion...

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Jzero, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jzero

Jzero TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Probably my favorite subject matter.... beat up and derelict old buildings. Here are a few samples (opinions desired).
    J
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jzero

Jzero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. Tyson

Tyson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Kind of odd but nice to look at nonthe less.

4. GoM

GoM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In all of them, you can kind of tell that they're tough shooting conditions, but the blown-out sky's a bit of a drag....not much you can do about it now, and I don't know what kind of post-processing program you do have, but even a couple minutes messing with levels or whatnot can turn these from decent snapshots to decent photographs :)

5. Jzero

Jzero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These were all shot in overcast conditions. I am using very basic processing software such as the beta version of Adobe Lightroom and Google's Picasa2.

Can you please elaborate on "messing with levels". I have kept all the pictures in their original "as-shot" form and being new to the world of tweaking, I'd like to get an idea of how to turn a decent snapshot into a decent photograph.

Thanks
    J

6. GoM

GoM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I don't know what Lightroom or Picasa are like, but I mean adjustign things like contrast, if the program has a 'levels' option, then something like that. Basically, play around with a photograph you've taken with any tools you're given, and see what you like. Maybe take a look at one or two shots you like in particular and see if you can get yours to approach the 'way' it looks, and go from there :)

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The second is a bit on the bright side and I get the feeling there is more in the sky that can be "modelled" out in Photoshop, if only a bit - same MIGHT apply to the last, but I am not so sure there. May I give it a try?

Oh, shouldn't I mentioned how much I like your choice of subjects???

8. Jzero

Jzero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi LaFoto

I'm glad you like my subject matter, I find the old decrepid looking buildings to be photogenic and interesting.

Please do try to touch up my pictures a bit. I am really curious to see what can be done to them (and how it can be done). I am re-posting the same three pictures but in their original format (before I messed around with them). Thanks a lot.

J

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here we go (and I find your originals all better than your first edits, the sky is still there! Thanks for letting me start from there!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to tell you what I did ... shows my inability to use Photoshop properly to all the other members who are such PS-whizzes, so I feel ashamed, :oops:, but I mostly lassoed parts such as the sky as opposed to the buidings with a feather of 80px or so to get very smooth, hopefully non-exitent "borders" between what was treated later in the "Levels" and what was not, and thus worked on things selectively. But I now fear that those very, very versed in the use of PS will now detect a halo round the house in the first pic ... :blulsh2: - I mean, even I can see it now (and I swear it was not there yesterday! :shock: )

:wink:

Ah well, you might like my edits, all the same?

10. Jzero

Jzero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Corrina! This is absolutely great!! I can' t distinguish a halo from a soup spoon so to me this looks fine. Also, bear in mind that the lighting conditions weren't all that good to begin with but I am catching on to the principal involved in touching up a picture and that is why this is so important to me, so... I really do appreciate it. Thank you very much!

J