Mount Saint Helens

scole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scolephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Climbed Mt St Helens this weekend. This was my first successful attempt since it re-opened to climbing after the volcanic activity of 2004-2006. It's certainly no picnic at 12 miles roundtrip and 5,500 feet of elevation gain but the ability to ride down from summit to trailhead is pretty sweet!

Unfortunately, the avalanche danger was high this weekend so I didn't spend more than 10 minutes on the summit and didn't even really know if my summit photos were exposed properly (too bright & windy).

1. Friday evening
533502044_Nw6WZ-L.jpg

533501512_CHUTY-L.jpg

3. Last light on the upper slopes
533501809_Cj3RE-L.jpg

4. A moonlit mountain @ 4am
532884811_DSHDQ-L.jpg

5. Crater panorama
533502451_72crt-XL.jpg

6. Detail of crater wall
533502462_YUcr7-L.jpg

I just realized while processing these photos that I forgot to reset my ISO back to 100 from 400 after taking the moonlit shot. Doh!

Thanks for looking..

Sweet! how easy was it to drive up there? i want to do some night stuff similar with what I did at mt. hood.

Do you think a compact car, like a civic or a focus could get up there easy this time of year?

Cooool

1&3 are outstanding

That first shot would maybe have been better if you had stood in front of the log, but otherwise, great series of pics
icon_thumright.gif

Decent set of photos. I think the best one in this set is photo #6 "Detail of crater wall". The elements in that picture, when put together, is just so pleasing to the eye. Good job!

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

Man...my laptop sucks. I viewed these earlier on my laptop and though..meh..they're alright.

Viewing them on my 21" Dell at home and wow...these are really great. I really love number 4...so surreal. 5 is also great...I love a good panorama.

Thanks for all the comments!

Sweet! how easy was it to drive up there? i want to do some night stuff similar with what I did at mt. hood.

Do you think a compact car, like a civic or a focus could get up there easy this time of year?

Not a problem at all. The road is bare & dry all the way to Marble Mountain Snowpark. The first three photos were taken from a clearcut that's right next to the road. Just take I-5 north to the Woodland Exit (Exit 21 or 22). Take SR-503 east. After passing through the town of Cougar, SR-503 turns into Forest Service Road 90. Take a left onto Forest Service Road 81. The snowpark is an additional 6 miles or so..

Decent set of photos. I think the best one in this set is photo #6 "Detail of crater wall". The elements in that picture, when put together, is just so pleasing to the eye. Good job!

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

The color and strata of the inner rim is something I've always remembered from my first successful climb back in 1993. Truly an awesome sight.

Man...my laptop sucks. I viewed these earlier on my laptop and though..meh..they're alright.

Viewing them on my 21" Dell at home and wow...these are really great. I really love number 4...so surreal. 5 is also great...I love a good panorama.

Nice to hear! :mrgreen:

That first shot would maybe have been better if you had stood in front of the log, but otherwise, great series of pics
icon_thumright.gif

What I liked about the log was the converging "v" in the foreground and how it leads back towards the mountain.

Thanks for all the comments!

Not a problem at all. The road is bare & dry all the way to Marble Mountain Snowpark. The first three photos were taken from a clearcut that's right next to the road. Just take I-5 north to the Woodland Exit (Exit 21 or 22). Take SR-503 east. After passing through the town of Cougar, SR-503 turns into Forest Service Road 90. Take a left onto Forest Service Road 81. The snowpark is an additional 6 miles or so..

Sweet!!! I think I know what i'll be doing next week...

Some nice shots. Haven't been there in a whole lot of years...you make me want to go back :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back