Movie Set Stills - Need Advice

Mandisa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This question is for anyone who has worked as a stills photographer on a movie/TV set. Do you have a contract in place (aside from your job outline indicated in your start pack) that indicates the usage terms of the photos you take on set? Or you do you just assume that everything you take while on set can be used by the production company in any way (even including the official movie poster) and just accept the day rate for that unspoken full buyout?

Not something I've done, but I would expect that those terms will be dictated by the production company and acceptance is a condition of hiring. Given that movie companies are just as rabid as music about protecting their IP, I would be surprised if I didn't have to turn everything over and walk away...

Not something I've done, but I would expect that those terms will be dictated by the production company and acceptance is a condition of hiring. Given that movie companies are just as rabid as music about protecting their IP, I would be surprised if I didn't have to turn everything over and walk away...

I understand that, but there should be a contract in place indicating a full buyout of all images in order for that to be understood, correct? I've spoken to one photographer who works on these types of sets consistently, and he did say there needs to be a contract laid out before hand. I'm just checking here to gather more info than the one source I have.

What I meant was: I assume that production company will want everything and that will be spelled out in your hiring documents. If it wasn't, I would be very surprised, but you're right, if it isn't, it absolutely must be negotiated and agreed on, and if you can get some sort of usage rights, uber-bonus!

What I meant was: I assume that production company will want everything and that will be spelled out in your hiring documents. If it wasn't, I would be very surprised, but you're right, if it isn't, it absolutely must be negotiated and agreed on, and if you can get some sort of usage rights, uber-bonus!
I thought as much - thank you!

Most reactions

Back