moving large image folders (free tool)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by TCimages, Oct 2, 2007.

1. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you're like me, you may find yourself moving folders with large image files to other folders or networked or direct connected drives. I back-up manually and have several gigs of images to move. When moving large files such as this, I always wonder if ALL my images successfully moved. I do a manual check on my back-up drives, but I wish I had more confidence.
    This little tool that runs in your Notification Tray (bottom right in Windows) and monitors everything you copy and or move to other folders or back-up drives. I found it pretty handy and thought I would share.

http://www.copyhandler.com/en/downloads/4.html

screenshots:
    http://www.copyhandler.com/en/screenshots/2.html

2. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Treesize Pro is a great tool for comparing directory sizes. I open 2 instances of the program and immediately compare the folders/drives I want and I can see where the differences are.

4. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I gotta tell ya, my experience has led me to believe this is a big no no in windows, without a tool that provides a check sum. 54GB in one move will have you missing files and corrupt images. I learned this the hard way. Fortunately, after going through all my images, I had a safe copy of the corrupt images on my third back up.

One thing you might do is right click- properties on the moved folder and the original to get an exact file/folder/size count on each. That's how I discovered a descrepancy. I now move smaller folders.

good luck

5. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. Looks useful