Mr. Squirrel dropped in

KJ_North

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
He dropped by for a visit
Squirrel-s.jpg

AKA "The Tree Rat." Scourge of bird feeders and gardens.Not a fan...

I've don't remember ever seeing a black squirrel before! Wonderful image!
I was thinking that as well. In the UK grey squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis, an unloved American import) do sometimes have a black form but they are very rare.

I wonder what species this is.

I was thinking that as well. In the UK grey squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis, an unloved American import) do sometimes have a black form but they are very rare.

I wonder what species this is.
Same species, different color. Montreal has a few white squirrels. All pesky.

AKA "The Tree Rat." Scourge of bird feeders and gardens.Not a fan...
We actually use a "Squirrel Proof" bird seed, it is coated with hot sauce and the Squirrels wont touch it. Maybe its "Franks Red Hot" LOL

Black squirrels are a melanistic subgroup of squirrels with black coloration on their fur. The phenomenon occurs with several species of squirrels, although it is most frequent with the eastern gray squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) and the fox squirrel (Sciurus niger). Black morphs of the eastern gray and fox squirrels are the result of a variant pigment gene. Several theories have surfaced as to why the black morph occurs, with some suggesting that the black morph is a selective advantage for squirrels inhabiting the northern ranges of the species, with the black fur providing a thermal advantage over its non-melanistic counterpart.

Black squirrels share the same natural range as their non-melanistic counterparts. Black morphs of eastern gray squirrels occur most frequently in the northern portion of its range around the Great Lakes Basin. Conversely, black morphs of fox squirrels typically occur most frequently in the southeastern portions of the species' natural range, the southeastern United States. Although they are found more frequently in those regions, the coloration remains uncommon in most areas that these species inhabit. However, black morphs of eastern gray squirrels form the majority of the species' population in the Canadian province of Ontario, and the U.S. state of Michigan. In addition to their natural range, black morphs of eastern gray squirrels were also introduced into other areas of Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States during the 19th and 20th centuries.

Most reactions

Back