Multi-Flash Hummingbirds

z06-jim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was one of my first attempts at trying high speed, short duration, multiple flash attempting to freeze the wing motion of these little speedsters.
Last year, for the most part, I was experiamenting with 'High Speed Sync' and high shutter speeds, up to 1/8000 sec., with limited success at stopping the motion.
With this technique, the very fast, short, flash duration is actually what is stopping the motion with using only 1/250th sec. shutter speed.
Not quite got it down yet and still tweeking my set-up but pretty happy with the results so far.
1DIV.....EF 600mm w/stacked ext. tubes....1/250 sec.... f/20......"6" Canon 580EXII Flashes

916906787_Cjd4Q-XL.jpg

916906406_KLg63-XL.jpg

923539433_x3F9t-XL.jpg

923539416_fSRCk-XL.jpg

923539454_igRUE-XL.jpg

Which one is male which one is female? The "Red Neck" is male?

my weakest bird for getting good shots of......Mike

Jim
I resisted this thread thinking...another bird shot. Well, these images are really top notch. I know how hard it is to shot hummingbirds, I have not been successful yet. Thanks for the great shots.

Very nice pics. Love #1

Beautiful images. I use HSS and fast SS but, as you mentioned, have limited success. Would you care to describe your flash setup in a bit more detail? How are you triggering your 6 flashes? How are they positioned?

I've been resisting buying Linda Robbins' hummingbird photography guide as I know then I'll have flash-envy (I only have a single 430EX at the moment). This, of course, doesn't include my glass envy for your 600mm.

https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=55

Most reactions

New Topics

Back