Mushrooms and strobes (pics)

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know that a few times now the Gary Fong flash diffuser has been discussed on these forums. I think it's pretty much amazing.

I first got it because I helped a friend shoot a wedding, and I was really impressed as I have experimented with A LOT of different diffusers. Anyway, I think I have found a new VERY good way to use this thing; mushroom photography. :lol:

Some pics I used off camera flash and sometimes on. But for all I used a sb-600 with the GF diffuser attached. Keep in mind I don't have a macro and used a 50mm 1.4G which isn't particularly great for macro shots. However with the flash I think I was able to get the mushrooms in focus enough so that the crops I have done have not degraded the image quality too much. Some of these mushrooms were so small and for all I was on my hands and knees. It's definitely something I might try and do more next season, once I get a macro. If anyone has experience shooting mushrooms, I would appreciate some C&C. Otherwise to the experienced photographers on here some C&C on exposure and anything else is welcome too.

1.)
3938417913_7d0f9c40e0.jpg

2.)
3939175892_6a99da20fa.jpg

3.)
3939256984_bd1d1bec7e.jpg

I think #3 is great. Now try to find the ones that are red with the white dots on them.....:lol:

No..don't do that...

Actually, although my avatar might suggest otherwise, I don't really like shooting bikes. I see them every day. Although I still have to, because we sell a lot of high-end choppers on consignment, and the tons of chrome give me fits, trying to use flash. I can't bonce off the ceiling, it's two high, and all three walls around them have custom bike parts, tires, lubricants etc...covering them. No such luck as having a "studio" of any kind. I've been trying to find a diffuser that will help me kill some of the flash coming off the chrome on these monsters. I tried lumiquest for a recommendation, but it seems the only one there that answers the phone doesn't know anything about them, and the one that does is never there, or never returns my calls, as the person that answers promises. -1 for lumiquest on that end.

J.:mrgreen:

#1 and #2 look really good to me! I think you did a great job!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back