My First Birds in Flight

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was not prepared for birds but did the best I could with what I had, a Coolpix P7100. But hey, at least I got some practice in so I know better when I am prepared. Comments and bashing are welcome.

DSCN0260.JPG

DSCN0263.JPG

DSCN0264.JPG

DSCN0266.JPG

Nice pictures, but I can see the strings you hung them from. :) j/k

...and that's the way you get good! lots of practice on gulls, sparrows, starlings, doves, pigeons...anything with feathers that is close and available. Start to really observe them, how they look when they land (always into the wind if they have a choice). Birds under no stress will always take a crap just before taking off. doves and pigeons nose up vertically and cup their wings just before landing or when they are about to hover. Watching for those things is what gets you the great shots.

Also when they are crossing your path that is the time to practice your panning. If you nail your panning you can then use lower ISOs and lower shutter speeds, same as with race cars etc. Nice blurred background and sharp subject.

Last edited:
No bashing, I think they are good! Birds in flight are HARD.

Ok, so it looks like the bird is flying in these.

Couldn't you have had it land first? Preferably in some really heavy brush where it's almost completely concealed by branches? Then take a shot of it from behind? Just seems like that might have worked better from a composition point of view...

Lol.. ok, kidding. Great set. #3 is my fav.

Most reactions

Back