My First Nightshots:
URL]

Ithaca_Alleyway___BW_by_sideways_8.jpg

URL]

URL]

Cornell_Clock_Tower___BW_by_sideways_8.jpg

URL]

URL]

I don't wanna say nothing bad about them.. but they just don't look that great to me. and the B/W pics gotta go.

awesome..thanks for informing me i just wasted my night LOL

Next time, make that nice area of cars the focus of the picture, who cares about the buildings?

The only thing that's really staring me in the face is the intensity of those lights. Maybe some kind of filter could help out with that(im pretty unfamiliar with what exactly, except a polarizer). Could also test out different fstops to see how you can change the look of them.

As far as wasting your night.. are you kidding? You're gonna have a lot of nights where you don't get exactly what you want. If you learned anything about shutter speeds, aperture, ISO, focal lengths, composition or anything else you'll be fine. practice practice. I'm completely new to this stuff (about a month) but I try and take the best of what I learned that night(or day).

Having said all that, I really like the last 2. The framing could be shifted either up or down to get more of either the ground or sky so you have more of a subject though (referring to last one). I think right now the subject isn't very obvious, whether you want the focus to be the ground or sky or whatev. Your shots have a lot of good things about them. I don't see why all the dislike. In some of the other ones I'm only not a huge fan just because it's not totally clear what the subject is, again. I've been struggling with the whole "why" aspect of my shots.

I'm trying to force myself to figure out the reason behind the shot before I think about taking it. "what makes this interesting to look at? if someone walked up to me while i was taking it and asked what the photo was of, what would i say?" "uhh.. an alley, i guess."(that happened to me)

don't fret man. just keep shooting and more importantly, learning. that's my chunk of change for the night i guess. haha. luck.

i like #1, #3 and #4,dunno why they just stick out the most..... any settings you want to share?

Dionysos, one suggestion to you and to everyone who live in areas where there are not too many city lights about that provide the light you need to "write with light", i.e. to photo-graphy: don't wait until midnight but take photos at dusk, even deep dusk, but at a time where there still is some light left in the sky. That helps the photo get some more detail, also in areas that surround your intended subject, thus helps not to get so much "dead space", and it helps your measuring system not to be fooled into believing that all in all everything's so dark that no photo can be taken. For when there is only so little light around, and then there are those few light sources, the camera will try to "expose right" and bring out what little light there is fairly brightly.

I can tell that you did choose a small aparture, which is a good thing to have done: your light sources are stars much rather than big, fat blobs of light. So you are on the right track. But with so little light around, it will remain a tough task to get the photos look "easily pleasing" (if I may put it like that).

That said, I must say I do like the first with the faint light on the houses. And I can't really make up my mind about the two versions offered. Something in me does like the b&w version very much, and a tiny other part - the colour-loving part! - says "But the blue of the near house...!" Don't know WHEN those two parts inside me will reconcile...

But I know for sure that the tower, for example, ASKS for being photographed in the dusk much rather than shortly before midnight. I think...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back