My first "real" attempt at night cityscape photography.

JeremyMcG

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to Boston on the 19th of December and decided to try some night cityscape photography. While I've attempted it before, it was more of a whim - this was with planning and intent. I spent a day during the light scouting a location and found my perch to be actually in Cambridge overlooking the water back towards Boston.
It was cold as hell. Windy as you could imagine. And I planed for everything except a thermos of coffee.

This was my result:

27166-1419306726-5cbdf358a9cc68795d5d3a87391c3a67.jpg

I've done a tiny bit of tweaking in lightroom but not much other than sharpness and to bring out the blacks a bit more.

I'd love some critiques on this photo as this format is something I really enjoy and want to become better at.

Thanks

I like it! I'd see what it looks like with a level horizon? But, I realize that the "tilt" is probably more an illusion based on your position and angle of shot...Very nice though!

Here's my version.

I adjusted the WB, exposure, brought the shadows up a bit, a tiny amount of sharpening, and straightened it.

For this shot, I used the verticals of the buildings to straighten it. It was off a tiny amount.

27166-1419306726-5cbdf358a9cc68795d5d3a87391c3a67 - Version 2.jpg

For a first attempt, I think you did a great job! keep up the good work. It does look a little on the dark side.

I just noticed the rainbow lines in the sky when the picture was brightened. You can faintly see them in the original post.

I would shoot at an higher f/stop to get a nice sharp focus. Also timing is important. You lucked out because there was a little cloud cover but otherwise it would have been a pure black sky. The best time for skyline shots is when they sky is purple/blue.

image.jpg

I used to spend a few hours on the weekend looking at that view from that same spot. I miss it up there. always windy there.

I think Runnah gave some really useful advice, but I'd say you did really good for your first attempt.

hi....looks pretty good.....could you pls share what were the ISO; ss; aperture; what lens did you use....did you play with any other settings on camera like white balance or anything else ? Thanks

hi....looks pretty good.....could you pls share what were the ISO; ss; aperture; what lens did you use....did you play with any other settings on camera like white balance or anything else ? Thanks

Sure:

This was shot with a Nikon D5200
The Lens was an 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikkor
The focal length was 24 mm
The Exposure was 30 seconds, f/18, ISO 100 (shot in manual) with pattern metering

I know some people have told me to shoot with a higher f number to maintain a more sharp focus, but this was shot at 18... can't get too much higher without having to use a 60 second exposure. Not sure what I could have done to get a better focus....

thanks man....did you use any filter ?

No - I've had bad luck with filters at night. Unless you get one that is absolutely cost prohibitive, I've found the filters cause reflections at night.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back