My Horse Racing Photography

matty231

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone...

Heres my album of some pics I took this weekend (first time)... any comments / advice... its hard to get the perfect shot with the lower light but I was using ISO 800 and shutter of ~160 with f4.6 / f5... no flash.

Flickr: matty231's Photostream

Thanks..

You have some very strange horses in your parts ;)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6154942868_e32b76039f.jpg

Since you are after some input into your work you'll find it more likely to get good results if you post a few of the best photos into the thread itself using

Pretty cool. I like how the track is lit at night so you get some neat contrast against the sky. The advice would be to do whatever you can to freeze the action a bit more.

It was a good idea to increase the ISO. Equipment wise a fixed lens at f/1.8 or so might give you that edge you need, but at a cost to your wallet (maybe there are some other suggestions). How much higher can you push your ISO? 1600? If so you might want to give it a try and see what results you get.. if you get a lot of colour noise at a higher ISO like that you may try converting some images to B&W - I find the higher ISO noise is much less of a distraction then.

If you can't gather enough light.. tracking the subjects like it looks like you tried in a few is tricky. You may even opt for a manual exposure that is slightly underexposed (a bit darker) but you'll get a faster shutter speed.

Keep at it; seems like a good type of event to try your hand at improving your skill.

THanks for the advice, i'll keep playing around and maybe dig in and buy a lower aperture lens like a f1.8 if I can find one :) Yes I was tracking them, zooming slightly on them ~80mm... B & W would be good for some pictures because the noise is quite redish on then night sky... But i'll try the higher ISO anyway. Thanks :)

You have some very strange horses in your parts ;)
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6154942868_e32b76039f.jpg

Since you are after some input into your work you'll find it more likely to get good results if you post a few of the best photos into the thread itself using tags. Then you can also put the specific settings equipment and how you went about taking the photo (a few look like you were panning?). The more details you put up the more people can be and will be willing to help you out.[/QUOTE]

Hi, thanks for that idea, i'll do that next time.. I guess I can use the flickr urls for the [img] tags... Cheers :) And yes our cat is a strange variation of one of our horses hahaha

When trying to focus on a moving object it is best to use a continuous focus mode. In your case C-AF(continuous-AF). Read your manual on page 53 at the top and it explains how it works.

When trying to focus on a moving object it is best to use a continuous focus mode. In your case C-AF(continuous-AF). Read your manual on page 53 at the top and it explains how it works.
Cheers yes I try use it as much as possible... it doesn't flash the redots on the AF area though when im doing it as if it isn't getting the correct focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back