Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last edited:
What is it..?

Lock picking.

The one laying on the pinning mat (open) is a Commando brand padlock - pretty decent lock, actually.

You know, I wound up having my character simply "reach for her pick and tension wrench", but you've got this giant sleeve of the damned things. I may need to adjust that. :)

You know, I wound up having my character simply "reach for her pick and tension wrench", but you've got this giant sleeve of the damned things. I may need to adjust that. :)
I don't lug that kit around all the time. Those are my "nice" picks. My every-day-carry set is very small and compact. I never leave the house without a lock picking set, lol. Just habit...

I do use them fairly often though - especially at work. We use golf carts to drive around the facility, and they're usually locked up. Rather than cutting the lock/chain, I'll offer to open it.

This is what I usually carry:

2013052021 by J E, on Flickr

2013052019 by J E, on Flickr

Maybe I could switch the line to something like 'She reached for her trusty sparrows lock pick set..." or something. It's pretty quick. It's a reflex reaction of a thief (who is now an angel) and she instantly realizes how silly it is to be looking for them when she's dead... I may be overthinking this. lol

That hook with the little notch in it is especially useful for Medeco locks (high security - the standard lock used by the US gov't) - the pins not only have to be lifted, but rotated. The notch lets you grab the end of the pin and rotate it as needed.

Maybe I could switch the line to something like 'She reached for her trusty sparrows lock pick set..." or something. It's pretty quick. It's a reflex reaction of a thief (who is now an angel) and she instantly realizes how silly it is to be looking for them when she's dead... I may be overthinking this. lol
Sparrows picks are pretty much standard for a lot of Gov't agencies, but I think I'd tend to not mention brand names. Anyone serious about it would likely be making their own picks as well.

Most of my picks are homemade, but the factory ones are just more compact - and they're nice picks too.

Ah ok. Good tips . Thank you. :)

Just seems like it would be more timeless to omit brand names. Check out that Peterson page I linked on FB though (Lock Pick, Bypass Tools - Peterson Manufacturing Locksmith Tools), so you know the names of different picks. Peterson makes good picks too, and can pretty much be considered industry standard. They tend to be a little rough around the edges though. A serious picker would hit them with some sandpaper before use. Sparrows are the only brand I've seen that don't require sanding. (They also have really nice cases.)

"Feedback" is one term you should get familiar with - being able to FEEL what is going on inside the lock through the pick. Since you can't see the inside, you're mostly going on feel. Some picks have good feedback, some don't. This is mostly due to the handle material. The more solid it is, the better the feedback.

HPC is another brand used by many locksmiths, but, again - requires a little cleaning up.

Sparrows picks tend to be a little pricier, but they're the only ones that are ready to go right out of the box. Some people buy them just for the case they come in, lol.

You don't live in NY do you lol.

So Josh, how much money are you makin with this hobby? :wink:

You should check your local laws before buying, but as far as I know - owning picks is never illegal. CARRYING them can be though. In Texas, they are just like any other "burglar tool" (crow bar, for example) - possession is only illegal if you are in the act of committing a crime.

So Josh, how much money are you makin with this hobby? :wink:
Not as much as I should be...

There seems to be a demand for my custom picks, but I'm lazy and can't make them fast enough to sell, lol!

You do start REALLY looking at every lock you see though. You'd be surprised how many businesses are "protected" by cheap locks that are very easy to pick...

Most reactions

Back