My thumb really really hurts!

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well since i'm sick i'm doing stupid things as I always do when i'm stuck at home. Atm i'm playing with the precurser to a much larger project to build a pulse jet powered gokart.

Well while trying to tune my "jar" pulse jet. I thought it stalled, where infact it flamed out. Since it's running from meth I didn't realise it was still burning because the flame is somewhat invisible during the day, so I opened it and in the process spilt some burning meth on thumb.

Long story short huge blister!

Short story with happy ending:

DSC_1762-2.jpg

DSC_1764-2.jpg

At least the damn thing worked. Sounds like a very badly tuned motorbike.

:D

Interesting... runs on meth?!?!! as in the drug?!?!?! Pulse jet on a gocart, huh? Sounds like you just a big a nerd as I am, LOL.

Or methanol, which has virtually colourless flames doesn't it? What is causing the bright glow in the jar?

Anyway, ouch!

Methanol burns a virtually colourless flame. The blue from the jar comes from the 10 second exposure, taken outside at night in the dark.

The initial flame isn't too big or too hot so a bigger lighting stick isn't too important, but nothing prepares you for that first woosh when you light it.

Village Idiot it's a basic principle of a resonant jet engine. You have a sealed combustion chamber and an exit hole tuned exactly to give you a recurring combustion, exhaust, sudden recompression, and recombustion reaction. Getting the hole the right size is the hard bit.

http://www.instructables.com/id/E4NKU6WICPEXCFO3S5/

It's fun and safe, just don't run it for longer than 30 seconds or so or the jar will give.

Most reactions

Back