Need Advise On Glass

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So the K1 Mark II I'm ready to place the order on the new camera, but I'm confused on which way to go on lens. They have a package deal where you save about a $100 if you buy with the D FA L 28-105 mm F3.5/5.6 ED.

Currently in the bag are the following APS-C lenses which I've read will work on the K1 with mixed results

• HD DA 35mm f/2.8 macro ltd
  • HD DA 70 mm f/2.4 ltd
  • SMC DA 50 mm f/1.8
  • DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR
Or for the same money as the 28-105 would this be a better choice
  • Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Any suggestions? Will be shooting both portrait (studio) and landscapes.

Last edited:
Anyone????????

@pez I'd seen that but most of the samples are broken links. Using the rating system looks like the 70 mm Ltd may be the only one useable, however on another thread the 50mm got high marks on the k1

Pentax is still around? That camera looks like it's bad *ss

Pentax is still around?

Of course they are who's mirroless do you think Fuji copied?:biggrin-93: Pentax has always been ahead of the curve on technology but sadly lacking on marketing.

Not really sure what you are asking you have a list of lenses that seem to somewhat overlap are you thinking of buying them all or comparing them?

I recently was very much bent on buying one of those Batis lenses everyone raves about so I rented it and was able to test it on an actual job (took the time to shoot the scene with my other lenses) My ability to read internet test charts/reviews is lacking :BangHead: or I just don't care about other's opinions :abnormal: The point is once again renting a piece of equipment from Lens Rental tells me more than I can ever ascertain from reading internet opinions.

Not really sure what you are asking you have a list of lenses that seem to somewhat overlap are you thinking of buying them all or comparing them?

I recently was very much bent on buying one of those Batis lenses everyone raves about so I rented it and was able to test it on an actual job (took the time to shoot the scene with my other lenses) My ability to read internet test charts/reviews is lacking :BangHead: or I just don't care about other's opinions :abnormal: The point is once again renting a piece of equipment from Lens Rental tells me more than I can ever ascertain from reading internet opinions.

Sorry may not have been clear the K1 package deal includes the DFA L 28-105 mm F3.5/5.6 ED, but in reading the reviews I'm not sure it's what I want or need. The "list" of lenses are ones I already own for my K3 Ii.I They will work on a full frame with mixed results. The last one, the Tameron, is the one I'm thinking might be the best to buy for the K1.

So you're wondering if you should get the package deal or save some money and put it towards the Tamron? Honestly that's up to you do you feel for your portraits f2.8 is more important than the extra bit of reach with 105.

My personal opinion for my style of shooting I never cared much for the 28-70 zoom range. It never let me go from medium to medium tight. I always felt I needed to have a second camera/lens at hand to change to the perspectives I would want to go to. And then again for me I would rather go from a medium zoom/with average fstop to something extreme like a f1.8 So personally imHo I always felt 2.8 was nothing more than added weight. Yes I remember shooting film where 1600 ASA was extreme and 3200 was well... ok(?) where that f-stop meant something

One thing to consider is if you plan to do video you will want the constant aperture a variable aperture lens sucks when performing a zoom or changing focal lengths for different shots etc..

Honestly that's up to you do you feel for your portraits f2.8 is more important than the extra bit of reach with 105.

The reports I've seen on the Pentax package lens rate it more of a kit lens. The Tameron gets better ratings. My preference would be an 85mm but the options are limited.

Best bit of advice I was given many years ago is.....Always buy the best you can possibly afford..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back