Need autofocus advice

Was this shot in RAW and did you do any sharpening in post processing? If it was in RAW then no in-camera sharpening was done to it, and most digital photographs NEED some sharpening.

Yes it's shot in RAW and apparently I have not been sharpening enough in post. Been editing RAW files for just over a month now and have a lot to learn.

Thank you,

Anthony

Was this shot in RAW and did you do any sharpening in post processing? If it was in RAW then no in-camera sharpening was done to it, and most digital photographs NEED some sharpening.

Yes it's shot in RAW and apparently I have not been sharpening enough in post. Been editing RAW files for just over a month now and have a lot to learn.

Thank you,

Anthony

Use that photo of your cat to play with. When it's oversharpened you'll see it. It's hard to explain (at least for me) but edges are what get sharpened, and you can easily see too much sharpening on cat fur. Crank the sharpening WAY up and it will be obvious what I'm talking about but I can't really explain it. The edges just look "Strange".

Thanks Scott, will do.

Anthony,

The grip AE/AF L button is a separate setting than the body button

Custom Settings Menu
f5 Assign AE-L/AF-L button -- AE/AF Lock (or which ever you want)
AND
f10 Assign MB-D11 button -- AE/AF Lock (or which ever you want)

=============
page 252 of the manual

Option -- Description
AE/AF lock -- Focus and exposure lock while the AE-L/AF-L button is pressed.

AE lock -- only Exposure locks while the AE-L/AF-L button is pressed.

AF lock -- only Focus locks while the AE-L/AF-L button is pressed.

AE lock (Hold) -- Exposure locks when the AE-L/AF-L button is pressed, and remains locked until the button is pressed a second time or the exposure meters turn off.

AF-ON The AE-L/AF-L button initiates autofocus. The shutter- release button can not be used to focus.

FV lock -- Press the AE-L/AF-L button to lock flash value (built-in flash and SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, SB-600, SB-400, and SB-R200 flash units only, 0149). Press again to cancel FV lock.

Last edited:
Thanks Astro, that's a big help.

Be well,

Anthony

Most reactions

Back