Need help with lighting Vehicle Rims!!!

JDoubleYa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am shooting about 25 rims and am having a lot of trouble with the lighting. All i have at the moment are 2 hot lamps. What would everyone use?

I have the Canon EOS 30D with the stock lense.

It's probably not a question of equipment quality in this case but how you use it. Are you diffusing the light at all?

Could you post an example then, and explain what's wrong if it isn't obvious?

Belwo are two examples. One the black background and the other with no background.

camex1.jpg

camex2.jpg

Im trying the get the following outcome minus the background colors.

vst_br.jpg

Stick with the black BG, up the lighting power, and you'll be good to go. Do a little noise reduction or unsharp mask if you have to in PS. If you want to shoot with a white bg, you'll need to move outside the tent, probably onto a table, and add another light pointing at the background.

...you'll need to move outside the tent, probably onto a table...

I've not shot anything exactly like these, but I think this is the way I'd approach it.

As for lighting, my main light source would be to hang a roll of paper (9ft) in front of the product and then light the paper... probable hang a second roll on the other side too to control reflections.

All of all the "shiney" stuff I've shot, I can't remember any that was round. That's an added challenge.

Good luck!

Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back