New camera technology advice needed

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by InfiniteRes, Mar 19, 2010.

1. InfiniteRes

InfiniteRes TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi everyone. I'm not sure whether it is entirely appropriate for me to be asking about this here, but you guys seem like a nice group, so why not.

A year ago on the way to work I thought of a revolutionary idea, a new type of camera that does not use pixels to take a picture. I have spent the past year designing this camera and seeking funding to build it. So far I have constructed a rough prototype, written the code for it, acquired patent pending, had it approved of by a JPL engineer and found zero investors. My idea will without a doubt work, however, it is expensive to build and I need funding in order to build a practical prototype to demonstrate its main feature, infinite resolution, and resolutions exceeding 1 terapixel given moderate levels of money spent on its construction.

Everyone has ignored me...despite the profits that could be made on this; even the media has ignored this as a news story, isolating me from even getting my name out there to investors.

I really really want and need to begin this project. I do not have a job, and by November there will be a high chance of me loosing my apartment due to financial issues. I thought America and capitalism represented a place where any hardworking honest man could find a place in the world, but it does not seem that way so far.

Any advice would be much appreciated...I just really do not know what to do at this point in time. I feel like my hard work has gone to waste.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  2. bazooka

bazooka No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like you need to work harder. ;)

3. Hamtastic

Hamtastic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What are you using as a lens?

4. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll send you all my savings :lol:

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, it sure is but as you've discovered it takes more than hard work to get an invention idea off the ground and flying.

It also takes discovering the right contacts to keep developement of the invention moving and many inventions take years to pay off for the inventor.

The key is to not give up.

6. InfiniteRes

InfiniteRes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Work harder? Mmm...more like work differently. It seems my way of doing things is ineffective. You are correct about the right contacts, but that has been my weak point. Its difficult to meet relevant people. Though, I have exploited every single friend and friend of friend that I had, but still nothing. I have never been much of a socialite unfortunately :x

I'm using this lens right now: Nikon | Imaging Products | AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (5.3x)

Though, since my prototype is as crappy as the first digital camera made, if not worse, I cannot nearly exploit the capabilities of this lens; I just happened to have it, so I used it. For the serious prototype to be made under funding...I will need an extremely large aperture lens of which I have not decided yet, since my camera's only practical limitation is the diffraction limit. Hooked up to Hubble, it can be drawn to 100%. So yes...it will need a very large, very expensive lens to be used fully. Since it will cost an awful lot to build, I was considering having a custom lens made.

"I'll send you all my savings" Thanks! :D Though, unless its $200k it won't be enough :(

7. TanMan

TanMan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is it possible that we could see a picture of this prototype? ;)

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm no expert but... I'd consider first get a solid hold on a patent to protect your idea. You might want to consider consulting a lawyer specializing in patents. Rather than going after investors to start a startup business which is extremely difficult especially with the capital required for such type of business, you are better off pitching your prototype towards pre-existing imaging companies; Hewlett Packard, Sony, Pentax, Kodak, Nikon, Canon, etc.. There are hundreds of examples of failed startups that have solid ideas and even implementations... and still fail.

I only want to say that this statement is troublesome. You sound like America and Capitalism owe you something... neither don't. Just like immigration to our shores doesn't guarantee an easy successful life, a good idea, intelligence, even hard work, doesn't guarantee you a successful startup. If this is the attitude you choose to embrace, you are destined to fail. The freedom to pursue such ventures is what we all should be thankful... just like the freedom ~not~ to invest in your idea.

9. InfiniteRes

InfiniteRes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do have patent pending, which allows me to sue whoever produces my idea without my permission during the patent pending period once I receive the patent from the USPTO. So, I am fully protected right now, since I am 100% confident the USPTO will accept my idea, considering I did have a patent attorney write it for me and perform due diligence.

I tried pitching my idea to those companies actually, but received no responses. THAT is what angers me; the fact that no one even gives me a chance. If they looked at it and said "We do not want this", to me, then fine! But not even responding? That is plain rude.

It may not, but it SHOULD. Social ability should play no role in such business deals. You should be able to sit down, explain the facts, and receive a logical response based off of the deductive reasoning of the data you gave them. Whether a deal succeeds or not should not be based off of how you look at them or what cologne you are wearing. My attitude towards this reminds me of how Howard Hughes conducted business. He did not like all of the nonsense.

What I meant by that, is that the "social hierarchy" is similar to the 'anti-capitalistic hierarchy', in that doing business is being prevented by nonsensical systems that are only counter-intuitive to what everyone wants. Anyone with an idea that can make themselves and the investor money should be considered.

Though, I have already accepted how this works and therefore am wearing the cologne, dressing well, being polite, looking at people the right way, and going to the social events. But even this has not been fruitful yet. (I am naturally polite and dress well, though these people expect way too much).

There is NOTHING wrong with my business plan, but whenever I get to propose it to someone in person, they give me this incredulous look and walk away. That is frustrating.

Pictures? Why certainly!

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p87/RobertJustice/DSC_0086.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p87/RobertJustice/DSC_0039.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p87/RobertJustice/DSC_0083.jpg

I WAS going to have these published in a certain magazine until they halted correspondence with me, so why not post them here.

I do not have any shots of the completely assembled version for some reason, but if you combine those 3 shots you kind of get the full version.

Can any of you guess how this works? Note: There is supposed to be a lens after the aluminum ring, and a photodiode after that. The aluminum ring can rotate.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  10. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gotta say I'm doubtful - this has all the hallmarks of either self- or knowing delusion.

First, "patent pending" is a phrase frequently thrown out that really does not mean much of anything other than you've filed the paperwork. Even having a patent does not mean that your apparatus will do what you claim it does.

Second, throwing out a buzzword such as "infinite resolution" is physically impossible. You will be limited (a) by optical resolution, which you did admit in your follow-up post, and (b) by the resolution of your recording medium, be that chemical grain size in film or pixel size in digital -- even if you've come up with a new type of detector technology, you will still be limited by physics/chemistry/electronics.

Third, you've brought in a classic argument from authority, "Had it approved of by a JPL engineer." Who is this person? What are their credentials to "approve" such a device? Did you show them theory, or a prototype? Or did you just discuss the concept?

Fourth, you use a classic argument from persecution, "the media has ignored this as a news story, isolating me from even getting my name out there to investors." It shouldn't be up to the media to get news out to potential investors, it should be you.

Finally, the most obvious one (paraphrased), "This idea will make you millions! I just need some seed money to get a working model ... ."

If you honestly expect people to send you money, you need to supply a lot more information.

11. InfiniteRes

InfiniteRes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "First, "patent pending" is a phrase frequently thrown out that really does not mean much of anything other than you've filed the paperwork. Even having a patent does not mean that your apparatus will do what you claim it does."

I know that fully. I am just stating that to secure that fact, since it is written under the USPTO guidelines that you cannot expect anyone to abide by the patent pending authority unless they know you have patent pending. In other words, if someone produces my idea for 3 months and makes a million dollars off of it, if I did not send them a cease and desist order at the beginning of those 3 months, I am not liable to sue them for damages. You can only sue for damages when the entity KNOWINGLY produces it without your permission. So, now you all know, I have patent pending, and no person(s) has the right to produce my invention.

At a certain point, the diffraction limit can become so large that it is irrelevant, hence Hubble which can achieve some inexplicable resolution not even worth considering at this point.

With no diffraction limit and a couple million spent on making the elite version of my camera, there is no resolution limit. How is that possible? This is all I do. Physics. I have devoted my entire life to physics and forsaken virtually everything else. When you become this good at something, anything is possible. See Leonardo Da Vinci who invented the helicopter quite a long time before anyone else did.

I sent the engineer all data on the camera. The patent, pictures, code, dimensions, all parameters....basically my entire project notepad. He knows everything I know.

He is a PhD computer science engineer and worked on various JPL probes in the past.

I have tried, but as I said, no one wants to discuss this with me...and the few that have soon loose interest. I would only assume that they would want a good story. I think this is interesting. I mean, infinite resolution? You do not believe me; it must be interesting then. Anything unbelievable such as this would be interesting. But instead they talk about bad relationships between celebrities and cats stranded in trees. Though, they do talk about the LHC and other relevant things occasionally.

I have....every investor I have come in contact with I have sent everything, including an extensive carefully written business plan. They all ignore and treat me like an anomaly. And the people I have gone to could all afford to fund this project, but they are all very reluctant to fund ANY startup business at this point.

I am not here to directly procure money...that is obviously unreasonable, but if any of you guys know any investors I could talk to, or perhaps anyone in the camera companies like Canon or Nikon, it would be much appreciated.

12. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hubble's diffraction limit is certainly worth considering - it was considered when they made the original detectors, which over-sampled by about a factor of two if memory serves. I'm not as up to speed on the current chips up there, but practical wavelength-dependent diffraction limits plays a significant role in influencing the decision on any detector that an astronomer would purchase.

Gotta say that comparing oneself with da Vinci is another fairly common sign of a scam coming up. And for myself, speaking as an astrophysicist who has studied instrumentation for years, "infinite resolution" is not possible. Me not believing you does not mean that it's interesting. It means that you seem to be violating some fundamental physical laws.

I'm not sure what a computer science engineer would be able to do in signing off on a physics problem. "Working on various probes" does not give someone credibility in this matter, either, as for all intents and purposes, I've also worked on various probes but I would have no expertise on guaranteeing that a design for a revolutionary camera system is feasible. Regardless, it's still an argument from authority and if you're expecting investors from somewhere, you will need more independent, recognized experts in the appropriate fields, in my opinion.

What does the LHC have to do with this?

I don't know anyone you could talk to. However, if you plan on pursuing this and if you honestly think you have something that works, I strongly suggest taking into account what I've stated in terms of the common signs of a scam, backing up claims of revolutionizing physics, and getting multiple relevant established experts in the appropriate fields.