New guy - critique please

-Jay-

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Whats going on. Just wanted to get some critique on this shot. I have been shooting for about 6 months now. this was taken about 2 months after I got into photography and my first session with strobes and a background. I have more from the session I can post at your request. thanks. :)

IMG_0430.jpg

Very nice...great job on the lighting. The tonality of the background might be a bit too close to the skin tones of the subject, but that's questionable. Overall, I think it's fantastic. Let's see some more!

(And welcome to TPF!!!!!!)

Welcome -Jay- !

I'm really digging your portraits .. the tones and colours and the way they mesh REALLY work for me in the first and the 2nd one works really well for me as well!

Again welcome and keep 'em coming! :mrgreen:

Excellent stuff. I really love the b/w, esp the bit of reflection off the background/flooring. I love her feet crossed in the next one. She's got a bit of a funny thing going on with her mouth, it seems like. But the pose is exceptional (and the model is just a little hot. ;) )

Thanks for the compliments and welcome. The model is actually my wife. ;)

Lighting is actually pretty easy, as long as you've got that ability to see the scene as though it was through the camera. Getting the exposure right so that the image matches what you see in your mind without blown out areas, lost shadows, etc....now that's the hard part! :D

Couple of really nit picky things about the second group you posted.

#1, don't like the blue jean waist band folded down over her hip like it is. And, I don't like that the plexiglass(?) ends w/in the frame on the right side.

#2, Some skin mottling, looks like she's a tad cold, and the earrings bother me.

Other than that, they are some nicely done portraits, and your wife indeed is beautiful.

Sharkbait said:
Excellent stuff. I really love the b/w, esp the bit of reflection off the background/flooring. I love her feet crossed in the next one. She's got a bit of a funny thing going on with her mouth, it seems like. But the pose is exceptional (and the model is just a little hot. ;) )

All the above

And may I say you lucky dog... I cant get my fiance to do that if I wanted to. Im lucky if I can get some pics of her just doing anything. She hates when I get the camera out :hail:

Thanks everyone. I am indeed lucky.

mountainlander: I see what you're talking about on the black and white about the plexiglass, but that is the reflextion from the pants on the glass, not where it ends. Thanks for the critique though. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back