New lens: Advice?

racheebabee92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am planning to save up for a new lens, and right now I only have one that I've been shooting with for a few years, 18-55mm. I want to buy something that will be put my money to good use- not something like a fisheye lens which is great, but I can't use it all the time. Also something not TOO expensive...any advice anyone?
By the way I am new to this whole site so it's nice to meet you all.
Rachel

If you would like to see my photography, check out my flickr.
Flickr: Rachel Thalia's Photostream

Ambiguous terms like that don't work. What is too much money to you, might be not a lot to me, and vice versa. You NEED to know what you are willing to spend, as do we, if you're to get any quality assistance.

If you have been shooding with the 18-55 for a while, you probably want to start reaching out a bit..

I would stay with a zoom and think about one that takes off where this one ends.... or there abouts..

If you are cost conscious, then Canon makes a nice 28-200 EF 3.5-5.6.... 3 to 400 bucks..

Or you could go all out and get the professional grade 70-200 L 2.8 IS, this one will set you back a grand and a half.

I would advise you first to go out and get your self the Canon/Nikon (do u shoot with one of these?) 50mm f/1.8. Its comes in around the 100 dollar range and is considered the best value lens around by many. Great for portrait photog.

If you do wanna go for a lens with range Id recommend the Canon (provided u shoot canon) 700-200mm f/4 L lens. Its about 600dollars at BnH

First question - what camera do you use?
Second question - what do you find limiting about your current lens. I.e. what do you enjoy photographing but struggle with?

Most reactions

Back