New supplies

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
I got my Arista Professional ultra-cold tone print developer today and 100 sheets of Arista.EDU 5x7 variable-contrast RC. The results are great, I love the developer, all the tones are amazing and the darks are a great shade of black. :) Needless to say I'm protecting my developer more closly, after I made new developer I am storing it in 6 small glass frappucino containers and filling them to brim and even putting a marble in the last one to make sure it was totally full (thanks for the idea hertz!) I'll scan and post some of the results tomorrow.

I was really wondering about that cold tone dev. so you like it? I may try it soon. So what is the deal with your crazy storage technique? how long will the dev keep if no air is in it? thanks.

DIRT said:
how long will the dev keep if no air is in it?

Kodak usually lists shelf life for full and half full containers. Most other brands don't. 1 quart of developer in a 1 quart bottle probably has almost twice the shelf life of 1 quart of developer in a 2 quart bottle (unless you pour in a quart of marbles too).

DIRT: yeah, the cold tone stuff is wonderful, about $13 from freestyle and it make 3.75 gallons. I hardly ever put my old developer in containers and I had to make new everytime and went through a bottle way to fast

ksmattfish: I almost used a quart of marble to top off a milk jug that was half full of film dev because I didn't have any smaller containers :) I was also in Lawrence, Kansas for a 3-week debate camp at KU. Lawrence is a cool town, but really hot sometimes :)

Yeah, it's been above 110F heat index for days now. :(

Another solution for dealing with shelf life of chemistry is to do so much developing and printing that the chems exhaust through use before they can oxidize on the shelf. ;)

ksmattfish said:
Yeah, it's been above 110F heat index for days now. :(

Another solution for dealing with shelf life of chemistry is to do so much developing and printing that the chems exhaust through use before they can oxidize on the shelf. ;)

I like your thought process...we think alike.

Most reactions

Back