New to DSLR

Celestrian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi.

I'm new to DSLR and photography in general, but I've thought about getting into it for a while now, and I think it's time I did so.

A few weeks back I bought a D3100 with a regular 18-55 lens, but I returned it because I thought I might as well buy a bundle with a cooler lens. Didn't notice too much wrong with the camera as such, although I found it a bit annoying to have to fumble into the menus to try various settings. As I'm a newbie, I have to try out some settings to learn and see if I can see much difference. (I have read a bit about stuff, not nearly enough, but at least enough to know some of it in theory, have to learn the practical though).

I think I will find photography a fun hobby, but since I'm not sure, I don't want to spend a ton of money on it yet. But if I will become hooked, it's nice to get into an ok system I suppose, and to get a camera that can help me grow. :)

Don't think I should set a definite limit on how much I'd like to spend and since I'm in Norway, I am not sure the prices would compare completely anyway. :)

I think it's likely that I'm going to take most pictures outside and of nature, so I think it's important to have a camera that does decently when it's cloudy, dusk/dawn and the light isn't perfect. To get some nice colours even then. Since I'd like to take animal pics, I would also need to be able to take pics of fast movement without it becoming blurry. That also requires not too slow AF I suppose. But since I'm quite new, I don't have to fix all settings myself, at least not until I get more experienced, so some point-and-shoot abilities would be nice.

As I said, I think the D3100 w/18-55 was too boring a bundle, and want another one. I guess the D3100 is an ok enough camera, I did get some nice pics out of it after all, but I think I also can afford to spend a bit more on a camera.

So these are the options I have looked at so far:
LOWEST PRICE RANGE- if I go for any of these I might be able to afford another budget lens and maybe a tripod and a filter or two. Any suggestions to a good and cheap lense?
Nikon D3100 18-55 VR + 55-200 VR OR 18-105 VR
Nikon D5100 same options as the D3100 (the 18-105 VR is coincidentally on sale at the moment...)

HIGHEST PRICE RANGE - Here it's a bit pricey so I don't think I can afford much of extra lenses or other stuff if I go for these options, not at the moment at least.
Nikon D5200/D7000 18-105 VR (they cost the same)
Pentax K-30 18-55 WR + 50-200WR OR 18-135WR (the former is about 80 bucks cheaper, the latter the same price as D5200/D7000 - I do like the idea of WR)
Canon t4i/60D 18-135 IS (same price as the above)
Canon t3i 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS OR 18-135 IS

Initially I am thinking about the 5100 with 18-105VR and maybe add another lens to that. That would leave me with about 500 bucks to buy an extra lens and/or other accessories if I was to use the same amount of money as the D5200/D7000/K-30/t4i/60D alternatives above. (The t3i alternatives are about 150-200 bucks cheaper than the ones just mentioned). Of course, if I can get away with having lots of fun with just the D5100 18-105 VR for a while to see if I think this is really fun and decide to spend lots more on photography, then I'd be happy for that too... ;)

But then again, if one of the more expensive alternatives seems a lot better then, I could go for one of those instead. I really like the idea of getting "great value" for money, so buying the newest stuff on the market isn't preferable, unless it's totally worth it.

Any thoughts? I'd be happy to elaborate if that makes it easier to come with suggestions. :)

Thanks. :) I've read such guides before. But maybe some of you have some experience with some of these and would like to share some intel. :)

I think I right now am mostly considering between these options:

Nikon D5100 w/18-105 VR (and get ie. Tamron 70-300 in addition). Mostly because it's cheap and I'm a beginner and if I like it, I can upgrade the camera to D7100 or something later on. And maybe another lens might give more versatility and thus makes photography more fun. :)

Nikon D7000 w/18-105 VR Mostly because it seems to be the best camera for the price I'm willing to pay (although the K-30 wins a few comparisons). But since it's quite expensive I'll be less likely to upgrade to D7100 later on. ;)

Pentax K-30 w/18-135 WR Seems to be a very good camera and I think I really like the WR. I don't know how easily lenses and cameras are destroyed by water, but I think I'd like to go to the sea in a storm and take some wild pictures of the waves and whatever. :)

Is it lots of work to make the D5100/D7000 as WR as the Pentax?

Unless there's some obvious camera I've missed. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back