New to forums: Need Feedback Please (NSFW)

WDodd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I just recently got into glamor type photography at the urging of my girlfriend (pictured here) and wanted some feedback from some people who know a great deal more than me.

Any suggestions are more than welcome and I'm looking for anything that can help me take better shots.

I used a 350D with the kit lens to take the photos.

IMG_2677-resize.jpg

There is a lot of noise in this shot and it was common throughout the shoot. I tried to use natural lighting as much as possible to avoid the unnatural shadows from my built in flash.
Niagara007-sharp.jpg

Edit: I know the lamp coming out of her head isn't a very catching thing but I noticed that after I had processed the photo I was kind of focused on her positioning at the time. :)

Nice lighting in the first, though I think there should still be more. I think the lighting in the second is too cold. Also, a little "attitude" from your model would help number two. If you are on a budget, I would highly recommend picking up a 50mm f/1.8 for this kind of work.

Nice lighting in the first, though I think there should still be more. I think the lighting in the second is too cold. Also, a little "attitude" from your model would help number two. If you are on a budget, I would highly recommend picking up a 50mm f/1.8 for this kind of work.

That lens is on my list of things to get as a matter of fact. I just didn't want to get it right away since I haven't done very much of this so far.

Any ideas how to improve the lighting if I may ask?

You could try to do it in Photoshop. You could also try to get natural sunlight on her skin, while the sun is getting low to the horizon. If you find you really like shooting models, you will definitely need to invest in some lights, but I'm sure you can gain some good experience before you need to invest any money.

Yeah thats definitely my plan. I think the window I used for the light was opposite the sun and it was already late evening on a very cloudy day if I remember correctly. Would it of been better if the window was on the side that it would have gotten direct sunlight?

Yes, direct sunlight is best, especially when the sun is low. Basically, if she can directly see the sun, you should be clicking away.

Direct sunlight can be pleasing in some situations because it turns into side lighting and can have nice warm tones. However, when using a window for lighting...it's usually best to have a north facing window (in the norther hemisphere) because you won't get direct sunlight. With direct sunlight, the parts of the model being hit by light will be very very bright...and the rest of her will be comparatively very dark. Even when the sunlight is not direct, this can ba an issue. All you need is a simple reflector to fill in the shadow side.

I think you are on the right track with the natural light. Heck, by knowing that your built-in flash makes for crappy looking images...you are already ahead of 90% of the general public.

The only thing I really have to add is that I think it would be better if you cloned out the strap from her wings on her shoulder and I think she is a pretty girl and could be making a better face in the second pic.

Something's wrong with her expression in the second photo...

The lighting is letting down the second photo. The first one is making great use of the window lighting, but as suggested if shot on a sunny day it would probably have more warmth to it. Lighting is something that is hard to adjust in post processing so it's probably just worth waiting for the perfect day to start taking the photos.

The second one has come out a little bland because of the natural lighting as you can see. There is no reason you can't use normal lighting especially indoor shoots like these. Providing you're girlfriend can stay very still I found you can get VERY sharp photos even with very low shutter speeds like 1 or 1/2 providing the camera is on a tripod and the model wasn't drinking coffee earlier :). Playing with indoor light ofcourse allows you to make all sorts of shadow effects with desklamps and ceiling lamps or different lamp colours. The best part of it is you can see the changes in lighting in real time which is hard to do with a flash that does not have a modelling lamp.

What was your iso? These images seem too grainy for "glamour". I would also light your subject more... I know you were going for a "natural daylight" feel but you can acheive that same feel by putting some ctb on your lights, because sunlight casts more of a blue light, as apposed to tungsten light, which is like the light from an oridinary desk lamp.

*ctb: Color Temperature Blue - It's just blue gel.

Get some studio lights to make glamour images. If not you'll need a fast lens and I'd suggest the 50 f1.4 over the f1.8 for this.

With a little work, I think the 2nd looks better like this.

Untitled-13.jpg

I love the first pic. Especially the lighting. It gives her body a nice glow.
The second one I'm not too sure about. Too be honest the pose looks too awkward. Especially the way her right arm reaches behind her. Looks kind of uncomfortable.
Also as has been mentioned the lighting looks as cold as the lighting in the first one looks warm.

Hello all. I just recently got into glamor type photography at the urging of my girlfriend (pictured here) and wanted some feedback from some people who know a great deal more than me.

Any suggestions are more than welcome and I'm looking for anything that can help me take better shots.

I used a 350D with the kit lens to take the photos.

There is a lot of noise in this shot and it was common throughout the shoot. I tried to use natural lighting as much as possible to avoid the unnatural shadows from my built in flash.

Edit: I know the lamp coming out of her head isn't a very catching thing but I noticed that after I had processed the photo I was kind of focused on her positioning at the time. :)

If it was her idea for this photoshoot, she's a keeper:thumbup:

The 50mm 1.8 is a cheap (in price only) lense for Canon and is great quality wise. My friend with an XT loves his 50mm. With that alone you'd be able to take advantage of the natural light much better.

Or you could always add more light. Even a additional desk lamp in the room (better if its the kind that you can aim via flexible neck) will help eliminate some of the shadows you are fighting with.

Thanks everyone so much for the feedback and ideas.

harrisoncj: I went back and checked on the ISOs and I had it at 250 for the window picture and 800 for the one on the bottom. I think that a lot of the noise was due to the high ISO that I used. Am I right in that assumption?

Garbz: I'm definitely looking forward to trying the low shutter speed and playing around with indoor lights I'll let you know how it turns out.

Most reactions

Back