New to HDR

CookieMonster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to HDR but I have a few questions, first I'll start off with;
I found a program that can convert a single RAW to HDR, has anyone successfully converted a RAW to HDR equivalent to using multiple exposures ?

In my experience, HDR never looks good. And this is going to open a whole can of worms.

HDR is a technique that only a few have mastered.

99% of HDR is overdone and overcooked.

With a RAW image, you can get a HDR effect just by pumping the shadows and dropping the highlights.

With a RAW image, you can get a HDR effect just by pumping the shadows and dropping the highlights.

HDR effect? what you're suggesting IS HDR.

HDR effect? what you're suggesting IS HDR.
Touché

I'm comparing it to the 'proper' way of combing 3-5 photos shot at different exposure -5 -3 0 3 5

But yes, anything you do it increase the dynamic range is technically HDR, if you go into the literal wording.

I shoot nikon, so I only need 1 exposure. :p

Sorry Cookie Monster, you are going to have to learn like the rest of us. Read a lot of this Forum, practice, repeat...
This is not a 1 answer type forum, learn and use your skills..
Welcome.

In my experience, HDR never looks good. And this is going to open a whole can of worms.

HDR is a technique that only a few have mastered.

99% of HDR is overdone and overcooked.

I thought I was going to get email notifications on this thread, hrm anyhow !

I agree alot of HDR is overcooked, it has to be done right, some have an eye for it, others don't.

There is a software package that can convert a single RAW to HDR, without multiple exposures, are the results as good, or a tad bit different ? When you say pump the shadows and drop the hightlights, were are you doing this in RAW ?

Another question I have is; what is meant by if a program has no zoom and always shows actual pixels when viewing HDR ?

Any software that can manipulate a RAW file should give you this ability.

I do all my HDR by hand using Lightroom.

I'll take an image and increase the shadows to a level that matches what my eye was seeing, reduce the highlights to do the same, then I'll increase the whites and black just below clipping.

here's an example on a boring image:

Beach View by The Braineack, on Flickr

The foliage around the top of the frame was completely black when shot, as I exposed for the sky/water. The shadows on the chairs were also very deep. This image now represents a much more realistic scene as I saw it compared to initially captured.

Another way some people like to do it, is import the same image a few times in Adobe Raw, then saving ech one out with different exposure settings and then using "Merge to HDR" combine them back.

Hi, I'm new to HDR but I have a few questions, first I'll start off with;
I found a program that can convert a single RAW to HDR, has anyone successfully converted a RAW to HDR equivalent to using multiple exposures ?

Technically, it isn't "real HDR", but with Raw images, you can get the increased dynamic range you need, most of the time. I do it a lot, and it's fine, unless the range is over 7 stops. The key is restraint. If you do it right, people won't notice it's HDR unless they're very observant.

18804080731_1bbd344e90_c.jpg

HDR images are often produced poorly with over editing. But they really can be hugely powerful too.

Lightroom has a new HDR feature and it actually makes it hard to ruin an image, it just gives you extra editing capacities. I actually created a video on this just yesterday (great timing)

It may well help you out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back